Slept through a killer Ebay deal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slept through a killer Ebay deal...

Geez.. Thursday night... there was a good deal I wanted. They had the stuff advertized wrong
    I had an hour or so to wait for the auction to end. Thought I'd watch TV til near the end time. you guessed it.. I nodded off until 20 minutes AFTER the auction ended
    A bunch of old machinists hand tools etc. and one item in particular that is hard to find.
    All that and a geometric die head with chasers... a smallish one perfect for my lil' turret lathe... $15 for the works.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

All the more reason to use an auction snipe program. Set it and forget it.
    Mac

Comment

Originally posted by rmack898
      All the more reason to use an auction snipe program. Set it and forget it.
      Exactly. eBay auctions put me to sleep - if I had to bid manually I'd miss damn near every one.

Comment

A wise man once said: Ebay is like sitting by the side of a river: eventually everything you could possibly imagine floats by...

So don't beat yourself up over a missed auction -- another one will come by, and it'll be nicer, and close for less, than the one you missed
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
          A wise man once said: Ebay is like sitting by the side of a river: eventually everything you could possibly imagine floats by...
          He wasn't very wise then because I could list quite a few machine tool related items I've been looking for for years (since 1999) that have never come up on eBay, here or in Europe

Comment

Yeah, but you Deckel guys and your Unobtanium parts and accessories are crazy Don

Seriously, even if you do find find the rare optical rotary table, universal table, slotting head,... you're looking for, you won't buy it unless it's immaculate
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
              Yeah, but you Deckel guys and your Unobtanium parts and accessories are crazy Don

Seriously, even if you do find find the rare optical rotary table, universal table, slotting head,... you're looking for, you won't buy it unless it's immaculate
              True, but some of the items I've been looking for, I'd seriously consider even if "rough"..if rebuildable.

One example = I've been looking for for about 5 years is a Maho universal table for the MH400 and MH500 size Maho mills (both manual and CNC) This table has it's own multi page "chapter" in the Maho manuals, so it must have been a relatively common accessory....and there are thousands of Maho MH400 and 500's in the world... and yet neither I, nor Spud* has ever seen one of these tables for sale anywhere.

I do know of one in the USA, but it's on a Maho mill in a home shop and is not for sale !

*For those that don't know...Spud is one of those guys that seems to be surfing the web 24/7...globally... looking for obscure Euro unobtanium !

Comment

Originally posted by Milacron of PM

One example = I've been looking for for about 5 years is a Maho universal table for the MH400 and MH500 size Maho mills (both manual and CNC)
                Hmmm. ... you could have built one yourself in that time...
                John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                  I nodded off until 20 minutes AFTER the auction ended
                  On word.... bidnapper.com

Works like a charm, and they only charge you the fee ($2 per snipe or $8 per month) if you win.

Comment

Originally posted by Deja Vu
                    Hmmm. ... you could have built one yourself in that time...
                    True but I'm in no great need of one... just be nice to have. And the genuine article would up the value of the machine it's mounted on way more than any shop built verson.

Not to mention that the total "time" utilized in that five year span "looking" for that particular item might add up to 4 hours at most....
                    Last edited by Milacron of PM; 06-07-2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Tos

Guy in Creston said don't sell lathe coming to pick it up. Now he's trying to get it for 5g Peter
                      The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Peter.. I sold that guys machinist an old scooter yesterday. He said they where NOT going to buy that lathe. He said it was wore out worse than the TOS they already have. He said the seller offered it to them for $5000 after they turned it down. Who knows???
                        Small world huh? He spotted my Van Norman and we got talking about machines etc. Told him I'd thought about buying a lathe from a guy near Nelson...
                        Last edited by torker; 06-08-2008, 08:45 PM.
                        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                        X