Computer help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help please?

When I boot up a get a black screen that says; "Phoenix ROM BIOS version 1.10 A02, Dell System Dimension 3000...BIOS Version A02..."

"Secondary drive 0 not found. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility"

F1 gets things running OK, but everytime I boot up I get the same screen so I looked at F2.

Well, I don't have a clue as to what to do with it.

Any help will be truly appreciated.
    Len

Do all of your disk-drives work correctly (floppy, cd, etc...)? Check that Windows can actually read data from each and post the results.

Comment

Len,

It sounds like you've removed an IDE hard drive (or CD/DVD-ROM) on the secondary IDE channel. Go into the BIOS settings, go to the hard drives sub-menu, and have the BIOS rediscover the master and slave hard drives (drive 0 and drive 1) attached to the primary and secondary IDE channels.

If you have a hard drive or CD/DVD-ROM that's not showing up once you boot, check the secondary IDE ribbon cable to make sure it didn't come loose.

There's also an annoying bug with the Dell A02 bios that if you have a SATA drive as your boot drive, the BIOS doesn't recognize it correctly, and you have to hit F1 every time you boot. If you've replaced an IDE boot drive with a SATA drive, and that's what's causing the missing hard drive message, then you'll need to download the BIOS update from Dell which fixes that.

Good luck,

Robert
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I just tried the CD drive and the drawer won't open.

Open it up and check the cables?
        Len

Comment

Yeah. Check that the power cable is secure on the drive. If the cable is tight, you could use a voltmeter to check that 12-volts and 5-volts are actually being supplied to the drive from the power supply. If the supply is good, then the drive is probably shot.

Comment

check the time and date in your bios and make sure its set right if its not replace the battery, then set the clock and the year properly then you should bo ok , just had this same problem with a compaqe computer and it was the battery that was the problem,,

Comment

Originally posted by airsmith282
              check the time and date in your bios and make sure its set right if its not replace the battery, then set the clock and the year properly then you should bo ok , just had this same problem with a compaqe computer and it was the battery that was the problem,,
              Ok...but how do I do that?

More important, how do I NOT screw it up and how do I get out of where I'm going?
              Len

Comment

Len, if the BIOS is complaining about a missing drive on the secondary IDE channel, and the CD-ROM drawer won't open, the CD drive is probably dead.

Does the light come on when you turn on the system?
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

With that bios if you hit F2 and then "Save settings and exit" (or F10) it will remember the "New" configuration and will stop asking about the secondary drive. The CD ROM will still be dead though.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO
                    Ok...but how do I do that?

More important, how do I NOT screw it up and how do I get out of where I'm going?
                    If you mean setting the time, you don't have to do it in the BIOS, you can do it in the control panel: START, SETTINGS, CONTROL PANEL, DATE & TIME. This will set the computer clock just like the BIOS control will.

If you are talking about the battery replacement, you have to open the computer and look on the mother board. Please turn it off and unplug it first. The mother board is the biggest board on the bottom that has the other cards plugged into it. It should also have a heatsink for the CPU which probably has a small fan on it. Look around the board for a button style battery. If it is already dead, you will not lose anything by removing it so do so carefully. Go to Radio Shack or a computer store and get a replacement.

If you have to remove any of the boards that are plugged into the mother board to get at it, be careful of static electricity when you do so. Touch a ground just before handling it. If you move around or stand up, touch the ground again before handling the board. Any movement, even shifting around on a chair can build up a static charge that can damage the ICs on a board.
                    Paul A.

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Ok....I'm goin' inside!
                      Gotta check that cable connection.

Actually I ballzed up on reboot and hit F2 to check the clock and lo and behold!...they had planned on a neophyte going in there...at least from the aspect of showing me the clock was running correctly and then showing me the way back out. ("Here, eat this" )

I've been wanting to move the tower to the top of my desk anyway.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance!
                      Len

Comment

Must be the CD drive's dead as Kelsey's nuts.

Vacuumed out an acre of dust, checked the connections - nothing loose, so...off to NewEgg.
                        I don't use the CD that much so I'll just replace what's in there.
                        Says here "48X CD-RW/DVD COMBO DRIVE, TIED."

Is that all I need to know to order another?

Ta!

PS
                        The fan in there is made by Nidec which used to have manufacturing located about 2 towns over.
                        Now, of course, China.
                        Whad'ya reckon, Dell pays a dollar a piece?
                        Last edited by QSIMDO; 06-08-2008, 03:53 PM.
                        Len

Comment

If the old CD-RW/DVD is a full size unit, then you should be able to replace it with any other full size IED device.

However, if it is one of the "half" size units, then some of those have odd ball connections, and replacement gets trickier.

Getting a little off the subject, I recently had to replace the CD-ROM on my Dell small form factor desktop. It was one of the small size IEDs, with odd connectors. I eventually found a used one on ebay for not a lot of money, but I learned that the full size IED units are much more common and cheaper. Lesson learned : my next PC will be a full size tower that uses standard, full size components.

Comment

Working...
                          X