End Mills (Single end vs double end)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Mills (Single end vs double end)

What are the advantages/disadvantages between the two?

Thanks

Jim

end mills

Two cutters for less than buying two single end mills

Comment

Less total material in a DE vs 2 SE's. Less packaging.

Clutch

Comment

I like them for the econmics, but if you're one who prefers end mill holders over collets or cnc quick change holders you need the single end ones.
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Not all holding systems will let you drop in a double-ended EM. Most probably will, but it would be very annoying to find yours does not, right after you bought several.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Alot of the quality end mills seem to be single ended. I see the inexpensive, chinese manufactures selling the double ended. Try a nice Garr or SGS and you will see a major diff. The diff between really sharp and looks sharp. JR
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

My endmill holders - some original Emco-Maier and some from LMS - all take double-ended mills OK. Granted, these are all 1/2" shank or smaller. It may not be the case on bigger sizes.
              Pete in NJ

Comment

Just to expand on Pete's statement above, All of my endmill holders will take double ended tools without a problem also. I have holders from 1/4 to 1 inch for my Bridgeport, however my mill is 30 taper so that might make a difference. Just check the depth of your holders before buying .

Robin
                Robin

Happily working on my second million Gave up on the first

Comment

Series?

They should be OK with the "short" series of end mills as regards suitabilty for a wide range of EM holders.

Might be OK too for "medium" series but I'd check closely.

I'd really check it closely if using the long series of EM cutters.

Comment

i do all my milling in my lathe right now as i dont have a mill , anyhow i use only sigle ended mills and find them very nice and well built, also soem of my mills are expensive so i ge them resharpened ,, the double ended ones from what i have been told are more of a throw out type and they are much cheaper build as well .. so i dont think ill ever be using thoes style of end mills my self , some mills i just buy 2 of the same for certin jobs i just buy 2 of the same emd mill just in case also comes in handy when i send them out to get the sharpen or fixed at least i gota spare while iam waiting ,, i do the same with some of my smaller drills as well..

Comment

The only real advantage I find between single vs. double, if you need a long LOC, you're not finding it in a double endmill. Buy a reputable name and you should not find singes any sharper than doubles. I use both styles regularly, however if the diameter is over 5/8" I'll use single end mills for reasons noted by JTiers.
                      Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

So it is primarily a tool holder issue. Plus a case for economy. I believe the machine and collets that I have access to will allow for the double ended usage. Just starting out so will learn (and dull the cutting edges) on some cheap(er) Chinese imports.
                        Thanks for all the replies.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche
                          Alot of the quality end mills seem to be single ended. I see the inexpensive, chinese manufactures selling the double ended. Try a nice Garr or SGS and you will see a major diff. The diff between really sharp and looks sharp. JR
                          I've a bunch of Ford and various US manufacturer double-ended............ and they are so sharp they'll about cut you from across the room..... So it IS possible....

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                          X