Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dp
    replied
    That reminds me of a story. I was out putting around the California desert in the late 60's and came upon an old abandoned house. It was falling in on itself. Being a curious type I took a tour of the place. One standout was an old porcelain wood burning oven. I'd considered rescuing it but knew in my heart that it was not different from stealing it, so I left it be. I stopped by that old place a couple years later and saw the stove still there but riddled with gunshot. That, I think, is worse than stealing it. I have a clear concience but still think there was a better outcome possible

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Yeah, you just can't lift and carry that kind of load like you used to...

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pace
    replied
    Doc, ---you know,--- if I found that vise today I would have BIG reservations about toting it back to the truck! It was different world back then....

Leave a comment:

• doctor demo
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Pace
    Heh!, sure does...

De-mossing? Hmmm, dont have that problem here ... Mildew, yeah.

Any how, reminds me of MY favorite "find"...

Cleaned that thing up and it was in excellent condition ---- do I LOVE that vise, ---I think it just might be UNBREAKABLE. What a find!!
    That was no find, You were trespassing .My Uncle has been looking for that vise for years.Just wait till I tell him I found it, he will be elated!
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pace
    replied
    Originally posted by dp
    Not much of a story, but sure beats talking about global warming.
    Heh!, sure does...

De-mossing? Hmmm, dont have that problem here ... Mildew, yeah.

Any how, reminds me of MY favorite "find"...

Was an avid deer hunter back when, maybe 65-66--- was prowling the deep woods and came on an old house site with a falling down barn still somewhat standing. Sticking my head in, I nearly tripped over a vise handle sticking up out of the dirt, buried except for that. Pulled it out and it was a 5" fixed base Columbian in what appeared to be pretty good condition. Quite a handful lugging that thing back to the truck. Had always hated the swivel base vises, would never hold in those heavy situations, so was determined to get it home.

Cleaned that thing up and it was in excellent condition ---- do I LOVE that vise, ---I think it just might be UNBREAKABLE. What a find!!

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Juat last weekend I was working under a truck, making mounts to adapt a work-truck box to an older Dodge frame. Underneath I found a small pair of needlenose pliers (about 6" long) that were well-rusted and immobile.

Not wanting to throw away potentially good tools, I soaked 'em for a day in cider vinegar, brushed the resulting smut off, dried 'em, hit the hinge with some WD-40, and squeezed 'em closed.

After working the hinge a bit, and more WD to flush the debris out, they're free and smooth again. The surface is a bit pocked, and the plastic handle covers are a bit lumpy no doubt from some rust going on under them (they're oiled now) but they're good, usable pliers now.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thank you for Sharing.

Leave a comment:

• dp
    started a topic Interesting historical note

Interesting historical note

I was out de-mossing the lawn today (in the rain, no less) and needed to clean a part of my pressure washer that I use to apply the moss killer. I grabbed my favorite 8" adjustable Crescent style wrench, did the job, and put it in my pocket. Sitting here at the computer later I noted the wrench was made by Baker-Hamilton & Pacific in San Francisco. I googled it and this popped up:

http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd/arc...-hamilton.html

It's a pretty old wrench, looks nearly new, but has an old patina, and what looks like a nickle finish is all but gone. Just like the company. The building and the wrench live on, though.

The wrench came into my possession one hot day in Kansas. I was on one of the grand old numbered two-lanes (GON2L) on my Harley headed for Mick's Lake in Illinois. I pulled over to the side of the road to re-cinch my pack and there in the dirt lay this rusty old wrench. I tossed it into the saddle bag.

When I got home I used my blaster and some fine garnet compound to lift the rust away (and more nickle, no doubt), and this very fine drop-forged wrench arose from the rubble.

Not much of a story, but sure beats talking about global warming.
    Last edited by dp; 06-08-2008, 06:09 PM.
Working...
X