Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT A new way to pop popcorn.

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=V94shlqPlSI

Kind of makes you rethink just how great it is to have a cell phone glued to your ear.

I think it likely that I am the only member of this forum who has never owned a cell phone. But now I see they are good for something.
    Last edited by aostling; 06-09-2008, 12:42 AM.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

There are two of us.

However, not only do I not have, nor have I ever had, a cell phone, I haven't seen that youtube bit either......

Nor have I a cell for the phone to be in, but that simply makes me neither a miscreant nor an anchorite....

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

If that's real then I'm scared
        I've always hated cell phones but the business climate today almost demands the use of one.
        New to me.. customers text me about parts etc. Had to learn how to text.. like a teenage gurl sittin in the mall
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I'm a skeptic

I don't think that this is real.
          Cell phones can only put out a few watts of RF energy.

The power level of a microwave oven (500 to 1000 watts ) and time required (over 1 to 2 minutes) to pop popcorn in a microwave oven make me doubt this video.

The corn may have been preheated or zapped by a covert source under the table.

Things are not always as they seem.

Fixxit
          Last edited by fixxit; 06-09-2008, 04:11 AM.
          457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

If its on the web it must be true......

http://www.snopes.com/science/cookegg.asp Scroll to bottom...

Solar radiation (Sunny day) heats rocks/eggs MUCH better...

Gullible people......

Yes Cell phones radiate energy.. But it is an intermittent low level exposure...

The Gov't limits power of hand held RF devices. And Cell phones are on the low end of the output scale... A VHF Handheld can put out a 7 watt FM signal. The battery required to put that much RF out (for a decent amount of time), weighs as much as 3 or 4 modern Cell phones...

Distance is an important factor, along with Frequency. Online RF safe exposure calculation pages are out there...
            Last edited by Bguns; 06-09-2008, 04:09 AM.

Comment

It's a fraud. Under that cheesy table is the magnetron out of a microwave oven with the emmission pointing up. You notice how carefully they placed their cell phones to avoid frying them with microwave energy.
              Last edited by Forrest Addy; 06-09-2008, 05:29 AM.

Comment

A CO2 laser might be fun, too
                Just got my head together
                now my body's falling apart

Comment

Originally posted by aostling
                  I think it likely that I am the only member of this forum who has never owned a cell phone. But now I see they are good for something.
                  Then you would be wrong in your assumption........

Comment

It's a good thing that doesn't work,if it did then that's one more thing people would be doing WHILE driving
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                      It's a fraud. Under that cheesy table is the magnetron out of a microwave oven with the emmission pointing up. You notice how carefully they placed their cell phones to avoid frying them with microwave energy.
                      Could be, but here are two more video’s of other people doing the same thing!

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=ju5yIFu4yY8
                      http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=kAd0aWxs7kQ

I have no way to check this out as I am also one of these individuals that don’t use a cell phone.

Comment

Consider the problem. To pop a kernal of popcorn it has to be heated to 300+ degrees at a minimum rate otherwise the steam will diffuse through the hull. Also consider the surface area of the kernal. Also consider the radiated power of a cell phone in seek mode, that it's practically omni-directional, and of the wrong wavelength to heat a kernal less that 6mm in the long dimension. Even in a microwave the popcorn has to have oil included to transmute the microwave energy into sensible heat.

Look at the problem another way: consider the volume of water that has to be heated to 300 degrees F to boil. That takes a measured amount of heat. Given enoungh time I'm sure that a cell phone battery can supply the electrical energy to heat a kernal of popcorn to 300 degrees F but can it be done with the energy available in a cell phone's RF circuit?

Magnitron or no magnitron the cell phones are a smoke screen. Something else is popping the corn. Sounds like something "Mythbusters" should take on.

On the other hand my disparagment may be as illusary as I declare the vids to be.
                        Last edited by Forrest Addy; 06-09-2008, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going with the deception crowd. It doesn't pass the sniff test.

Someone on another forum posted a question about some report suggesting that results of HAARP research were being used by secret military weapons testers to focus "the energy surrounding the earth" to create the typhoon that devastated Myanmar recently and caused the earthquake in China. Bullfeathers! The largest source of energy surrounding the earth is thermal and there's no way to marshal it any better than weather systems do now. Earthquakes? Whole different mechanism. Despite all the technical jargon thrown in, a little sniffing and the logic stinks.
                          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

None of those links seem to show a video of popping corn, just a
                            bunch of thumbnails and a lot of Fench gibresh.
                            PS. I dont have a cell phone and couldn't hear on one if I did.
                            ...lew...

Comment

Once upon a time, way down in dusty Arizona, there were a bunch of cows grazing around a cornfield. The sun was so hot that afternoon that the corn began to pop right off the cobb! When the rancher came out that evening to check on his herd, he found them all dead. The cows, you see, thought it had snowed. They froze to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X