metal detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metal detector

Where and what should I look for when getting a metal detector to check wood for metal before sawing? I know NOTHING about metal detectors other than I ALWAY set them off at the air port!

mark61

Originally posted by mark61
    Where and what should I look for when getting a metal detector to check wood for metal before sawing? I know NOTHING about metal detectors other than I ALWAY set them off at the air port!

mark61
    Look up Lumbar Wizard and see what features are interesting.

Edit: Lumbar? Hehe, there's days when my back is stiff as a plank, but please look for Lumber Wizard
    Last edited by dp; 06-11-2008, 01:55 PM.

Comment

I have an old drinkin' buddy who is a woodworker and he keeps bragging about his $15 HF (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97245) metal detector, you should check it out...........
      "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by smiller6912
        I have an old drinkin' buddy who is a woodworker and he keeps bragging about his $15 HF (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97245) metal detector, you should check it out...........

Nice, thats a small price to pay to save on saw blades and jointer / planer knives.

One should come with a jointer or planer when you buy it.

Comment

I think I'd like to bring a sample of wood into the HF store and see what kinds of things it will detect. The web page and the manual don't reveal much about sensitivity or the kinds of metal it will find.
          Last edited by dp; 06-11-2008, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Re: Metal detectors

I got one from WW Grainger for $20 that works pretty good. They had a bunch of tools on sale a couple of years ago and I got some things I have always wanted. Also got a Amprobe contact amp meter for $25.
            Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

HF detecter

Cheap enough. Will it work on 30" dia. tree or is there a limited depth? Hard to believe the topic has not been covered before! Everything else I have ever has questions about has been covered here at some point in time!

mark61

Comment

The wands are near-surface scanners intended to scan planked lumber for nails, staples, and screws. Typically when reusing boards. Loggers have much better tools where spiking by greenies is a problem.

Comment

Re: Cheap detectors

Originally posted by mark61
                  Cheap enough. Will it work on 30" dia. tree or is there a limited depth? Hard to believe the topic has not been covered before! Everything else I have ever has questions about has been covered here at some point in time!

mark61
                  Mark61...Mine works pretty well in planks up to 3-4" thick but I would not bet on anything thicker than that. For thick stuff like logs you could probably get any of the treasure hunter type detectors. They are good for several feet of earth. Good for locating burried pipes too.
                  Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

This is a fairly sensitive unit using cheap parts, available anywhere.
                    It will cost you about $9 Oz for the article.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_101343/article.html
                    Just got my head together
                    now my body's falling apart

Comment

I have one of those HF models which cost about $20.00 on sale. It has worked good for me for the past year or so. Mine has no problem finding small brads buried in a piece of wood.

Comment

Anglo-Saxon gold treasure

I wonder what kind of metal detector you'd need to find a buried treasure as valuable as this http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/25/wo...%20gold&st=cse.

Isn't this close to your house, Sir John?
                        Allan Ostling

Comment

Can't help you on metal detectors, but it brings to mind an interesting story. Back in the 1980's I was doing a lot of research and development work on high production sawmills in the Canadian north. The "state of the art" at that time was double cut bandsaws.---The bandsaw blades were from 9" to 11" wide and would cut a board from a log as the carriage was moving in either direction. I was at a mill in Mattawa when they started cutting a big white pine log. There was a horrendous screech, the band jumped off the rollers, and shed carbide teeth all over the mill. Right in the center of this huge old pine log was a double bitted axe head.--What a mess it made of that saw!!!
                          Brian Rupnow

Comment

I don't know how good they are. Neighbor says that his buried curb box, shut off valve, cannot be found, with the Water Company's metal detector.

They SHOULD be about as good as you can buy, what the hell, ratepayer's dollars.

Is there a Tesla number that should be assigned to them?

Cheers,

George

Comment

A portable ground penetrating radar unit will find it. Why are they still using metal detectors?
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X