DRO opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRO opinion

Well i am buying a used mill and have the option of installing an Accu-rite DRO. Anyone have experience with Accu-rite?

Rob

I don't think you will go wrong with it, there as good as anyone's. I have one on a lathe and no trouble's after 8 years of use.
    Last edited by kurt w; 06-11-2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I just installed an Anilam wizard (same as Acu Rite) on my mill over the past weekend. I've only used it once so far but I like it. I talked to many people before I bought it and all had nothing but good things to say about it. I'll let you know more when I,ve had a little more time on it.
      Mac

Comment

Acu-Rite is top quality. I got one a few years ago and it's been great.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Rob, i've had one on a Bridgeport since 1993 or 94. Good DRO!! I've never had a problem or complaint of any kind.

Cecil

Comment

Cecil, good to see you back.

Comment

Accu-Rite is top quality. BUT, they've recently released a budget system that's showing up in all the Enco/MSC/KBCTool catalogs for $700 for a complete system.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I'm suspicious that there are made in China. Might want to look into that...
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

cool glad to hear it. I have been thinking about it and i beleive i will spring for the DRO.

Lazlo i don't think it is the cheaper version. Unless the mark-up is huge!!!

Rob

Oh yeah i go on Friday to hear the machine run. If i like what i hear i sign the deal!

Comment

You might be better off with the Ching-Chang version. I have an older version Accu-Rite that went belly up on the X scale. I swaped the Y board in and it still didn't light up. It's in my junk box now if anyone needs spare parts.

Comment

Originally posted by spkrman15
                    Lazlo i don't think it is the cheaper version. Unless the mark-up is huge!!!
                    These are some of the new "Name Brand" DRO's that have started hitting the market for around $700. If anyone's seen one in person, where are they made?

Newall (notice the magnetic scales). $795 for the 12x36 mill kit:

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...toolcoAdID=310

Fagor (traditional glass scales). Looks an awful lot like the Jenix head. $795 for the 12x36 mill kit:

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...toolcoAdID=310

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

..and here's the new Anilam LCD DRO that someone here (TattooMike?) posted a couple of weeks ago. $895 for the 13 x 35 Bridgeport kit, and Enco has the 20% off coupon good 'till the end of June which makes it $687 !

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...AKA=RZ319-9721

Comment

I have no experience with Accurite, however FWIW, I've had good luck with the Meister brand from a company out of Singapore.
                        Installation was not hard on my mill and the features packaged in it are numerous. I still have to learn how to use many of them but at least they're there if I want them. I have the BC10M which is housed in an aluminum cast housing. Communication with the company went very well too. They also sell on ebay, which BTW, you can save a couple of $$ that way as opposed to the main web site.

The main site is here: http://www.meisterdro.com/servlet/Ca...igital+Readout
                        Last edited by Metalmelter; 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM.
                        "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Thomas Edison

Better to have tools you don't need than to need tools you don't have

73's KB3BFR

Comment

Originally posted by Metalmelter
                          I've had good luck with the Meister brand from a company out of Singapore.
                          FWIW, the Meister/Sino/Birmingham/Uniq/CDCO DRO's all seem to be made by the same factory in China. The "DRO Store" itself is based out of Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                            ..and here's the new Anilam LCD DRO that someone here (TattooMike?) posted a couple of weeks ago. $895 for the 13 x 35 Bridgeport kit, and Enco has the 20% off coupon good 'till the end of June which makes it $687 !

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...AKA=RZ319-9721

This is the unit that I bought and installed last week. While I can't find a country or origin printed on the display unit or scales, all support documents and packaging state that it's made in USA, as does the Enco sale flyer (not that Enco is a reliable source of product origin)
                            Mac

Comment

Yeah, that Anilam looks really nice! How do you like it?

Comment

Working...
                              X