center steady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• center steady

Some time back I showed picture of a mill set up. Here is the completed result.

Hope this is understandable. JIM
    jim

Nice steady! Thats the first time I've ever seen a transmission case set up on a lathe.
    Mac

Comment

rmack, the steady rest in this operation not only serves to center the trans, but also holds the case from turning, as the input shaft is in the chuck. I was drilling a hole in the output shaft to be threaded to bolt the driveshaft yoke to the shaft. We are building a demolition derby car, lots of modifying being done to many parts! Driveline failures have been many over the years. JIM
      jim

Comment

Originally posted by jimmstruk
        rmack, the steady rest in this operation not only serves to center the trans, but also holds the case from turning, as the input shaft is in the chuck. I was drilling a hole in the output shaft to be threaded to bolt the driveshaft yoke to the shaft. We are building a demolition derby car, lots of modifying being done to many parts! Driveline failures have been many over the years. JIM

Funny you should say that, I went to a demo here in walla walla , washington tonight.

I am uploading 120 megs of videos right now to youtube but here is a still shot of a fun ride.

Comment

Round here they have school bus demo derbies. Every laughs their a## off watching them!

mark61

Comment

2nd thought

That sure is a nice steady rest. I built 1 out of 1/2' plate and it flexes too much even using roller bearings. 1 more project to be done over and hopefully righ this time!

sigh....

mark61

Comment

Thanks Mark for the compliment on the steady rest. I can take pictures of some other projects if you all are interested, nothing fancy but they work. JIM
              jim

Comment

Working...
              X