Motorcycle towing.....this seems like a really bad idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle towing.....this seems like a really bad idea

I've never owned or ridden a motorcycle, so I admit to total ignorance. I ran across this rig for towing one, and I was wondering if it's as bad an idea as it looks.

More pics at:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cycle...spagenameZWDVW

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

I think I would like some higher quality straps but I cant think of any reason this wouldnt work. Most bikes are well under 500 lbs so there is not a whole lot of stress.

Just make darn sure its out of gear!

Comment

you can tow yours that way but i would not tow mine. how does the transmission lube? you mite be runnin g it dry that way.

Comment

NOt my

Not my motorcycle, He sure does a lot of explanations in the ebay ad that he "designed and manufactured" the tow rig. Hurrah for him.

As many lawyers that ride nowadays I'd not stir that shark pool with hundred dollar bills on the hooks. Lots of them the fad has ran out and they can't get more than they paid for that noisy hobby. (like they could)

My 800+lb motorcycle "rides", if it does get onto a trailer it will be a stable one. I have race car straps also, not puny tie downs.

Oiling? OLDER model harleys have spacers w/grooves to oil the transmission. It carries the oil into the roller bearings. if it turns, it oils. Unless you flip the grooved washers, then it machines the non-retained rollers each rotation. *saw that before, never caused it, but fixed it a few times.

Roger, you've met me.. I think I could wad that rig up with my hands. Sometimes I am surprised, but I have been pitched by a motorcycle for twenty feet and know who the real boss of inertia is. I think it'd eventually hurt the neck bearings and twist things that don't need twisting. (high speed wobble?)
        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Looks like one of those rigs I try to hurry up and get around on the interstate
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If it was done up right It could do in a pinch but at the cost of rear tires Its not something you would want to use cross country - I dont think the tranny getting lube would be a prob. on a typical jap bike (the countershaft would actually be swimming in it at that angle) but i dont know about the "thing" in the picture, honda also made some automatics and dont know there either,
            "If done up right" It Could be a great tool for a motorcycle mechanic to haul around in the back of his truck or SUV or even trunk of car.
            But like stated, I cringe at the thought of a strap coming undone (and also hope thats one stout piece of angle iron on the front holdown but like Dave said, looks very cheesy)
            Its also doesnt look like a failsafe solo act, and that right there sucks, It might be a workable idea but not in the manner that this guy went about it, Never trust a man who doesnt even know which direction to leave his eye hooks bolted, its bad enough that there not a full circle welded loop, but this hillbilly has them facing load side to the opened end.

Running a MC service department for years Iv seen just about everything in how to transport a motorcycle, The winner goes to a kid from westcliffe colo. who showed up at the shop with his can-am 250 with the bike strapped to the top of his old stationwagon, gets out of the car, loosens the straps and rides the bike down the windshield and off the front of the car --- this explained all the cracks down the center of his windshield, Then me and the boss-man witness the kid picking up his ride after a new tire was put on the back of the bike, pulls the wagons front end up to one of our MX test hills and rides the bike onto the front end and up the windshield onto the roof where he then gets off and proceeds to lift the rear tire to one side and then drops the bike onto the roof of the wagon...

Edit; "if done up right" would actually require it to be at least twice the weight and not be reliant on just straps ------- Im thinking the same thing I used to hold bikes on the pneumatic lift, a very heavy gage wheel sandwich clamp -- its possible to have this and a center pivot, you pre-set your clamp and ride/wedge the bikes front tire into it (just like I used to do on the lift) then you fully clamp the wheel - then you have a built in portable very light duty and small cable winch that pivots the bike up to a stop where a pin is inserted, Or strategically placed strap anchors and ratchet straps that do it for you, Insert pin and totally hunker straps --- then you can feel good about driving around wearing out your $200.00 rear tire...
            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 06-13-2008, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Some of you guys might know this fella from the late seventies? there was a guy with a 69-70s caddy with a channel iron up the back he'd load his FXE onto..

I saw the old black caddy everywhere for a number of years. He must've been rich or living off dancers? From Wisconsin or Canada, I forget.. One of them cold places where it probably was a joy to visit warmer climates.
              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                "If done up right" It Could be a great tool for a motorcycle mechanic to haul around in the back of his truck or SUV or even trunk of car.
                Alternatively....

http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                  As many lawyers that ride nowadays I'd not stir that shark pool with hundred dollar bills on the hooks. Lots of them the fad has ran out and they can't get more than they paid for that noisy hobby. (like they could)
                  Agreed, as a fad it's old, too many hit the road and as a fad all it's done is make it more expensive for the real enthusiast.
                  Price has gone down a great deal on the harley clones all accross the board.

HAve seen many rigs like that for bikes, but I wouldn't put any of mine on one.
                  I have a trailer with a couple rails I throw on when I want to haul a bike around, if I don't have to haul it, I ride it.

Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by kendall
                    Agreed, as a fad it's old, too many hit the road and as a fad all it's done is make it more expensive for the real enthusiast.
                    Price has gone down a great deal on the harley clones all accross the board.

HAve seen many rigs like that for bikes, but I wouldn't put any of mine on one.
                    I have a trailer with a couple rails I throw on when I want to haul a bike around, if I don't have to haul it, I ride it.

Ken.
                    I'm certainly glad to hear that the fad for bikes is over. Now the rest of us who do it because we like it rather than how we might be perceived can get back to riding. Ha.

As to the method shown for trailing a bike, I certainly wouldn't do it for a long distance. There's too great a chance of the bike getting away, not to mention wear on the rear tire.

I live about 10 miles form the local Harley dealer. I would never let them touch my motorcycle at $95 per hour. But if I did, I might consider such a method for a short distance like that. I would use some better tie downs, however.
                    Last edited by gnm109; 06-13-2008, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I hope it comes with a lockout for the shifter so the towing vehicle cannot possibly back up. Steering head components on a Harley are not cheap. Come to think of it, nothing is cheap on a Harley.

And I'm pretty sure the tranny was not designed to be towed in neutral very far, so this would likely be a bad way to get to Sturgis. There are small trailers that work fine for this problem and they're pretty cheap. Probably half the cost of a new H-D transmission.

Comment

I had a tow hitch like that back in the early '70s... but it was for my lightweight (if you will excuse the expression) Yamaha 250 dirt bike... it worked fine with a bike you can easily pick up the front end by yourself, but to use it you loosened and removed the chain from the sprocket and wired it out of place so the only thing you are driving are the rear wheel bearings. I haven't seen one of these for many years. The closest thing I have seen is the kind you roll a car up on when you are driving the rental moving van and you car is following behind you. I would only use that on a front wheel drive car.

I agree that this would not be a good practice for any distance with a street bike that used a shaft, or was as heavy as a Harley... How the heck would you get the front wheel up there without some kind of hoist?

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                          Some of you guys might know this fella from the late seventies? there was a guy with a 69-70s caddy with a channel iron up the back he'd load his FXE onto.
                          I saw that rig or one like it at Daytona in '82.

Comment

Not to mention the muhng and schmutz blasting the bike from being that close.
                            Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO
                              Not to mention the muhng and schmutz blasting the bike from being that close.
                              Reminds me of an interesting stretch of road I experienced while biking across central Kansas. There was this road crossing, and apparently a couple hundred hogs were on the wrong side of the road so they were walked across to the other side...

Comment

Working...
                              X