X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forrest Addy
    replied
    Holding three wires for thread measurement

I'm a tape guy. A strip of duct tape 3/4" wide about 1" longer than half the circumference. Lay two wires parallel cantered about 1 pitch apart. Apply the end of the tape to lap the ends of the wires by 1/2". Same on the other with the remaining wire. Carefully fold the tape over to capture the wires so no stickum shows.

Bingo! The wires are firmly captured in their most usable position. Grab them by the tape with thumb and forefinger and by using the knuckle of your middle finger bring the single wire under the thread. Use the other hand holding the mike to guide the double wires over the work. Take your reading.

If the wires are small and the thread large you may wish to tape the other ends of the wires to make a loosely fitting circle that goes around the work. If the tape is bright red they will never get lost if you drop them in the chips.

If you get them oily be prepared for the tape stickum to slowly dissolve into goo.
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 06-13-2008, 10:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Also, check Marv Klotz's site for 3 wire calcs (among many other workshop/maths utilities)

http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz/

Leave a comment:

• bobw53
    replied
    Grease, blop of grease and one wire on the bottom, blop of grease and two wires on the top. Open your mic up a bit wide, catch the bottom wire, then come down on the top two wires. A piece of cardboard under the chuck helps for when you drop one.

I've also seen people stick them into sponges, that seems to work pretty well, though I'm comfortable with grease.

Leave a comment:

• SGW
    replied
    What?! You don't have 3 hands?

A small chunk of modeling clay, or some tape, helps.

Leave a comment:

• torchroadster
    started a topic 3 wire thread measuring

3 wire thread measuring

I've been trying to measure thread depths using the 3 wire method without much success. My problem is how to hold all 3 wires steady and in the threads while making a measurement, especially with the work still on the lathe?

Am I making this harder than it really is?
Working...
X