Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snowman
    replied
    I knew I could set up all the other moves, but like Evan said, how do I set a cam program up to automatically output the m code instead of the z move? Too much of a pain....and I don't care to have to hand edit the code either.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    The coolant doesn't turn on and off for every Z move. It will have to be the Z dir output for simplicity.

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    So use the M08 / M09 coolant outputs, the code for them is already in there.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Using an m code requires additional programming. Using the Z direction pin does not.

Leave a comment:

• kf2qd
    replied
    But -

An Mcode and a plain digital output is just as easy and cheap and causes less problems later when he modifies the machine to have a controllable z axis.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    I think he just wants a two position Z axis so using the direction pin would work fine. You could use a generic solid state relay. Most parallel ports will easily provide the little current needed to run a solid state.

Leave a comment:

• ianjkirby
    replied
    Hi Snowman,
    If you haven't done so already, look into the use of M codes, which Mach3 supports. They are specifically used for controlling external devices like solenoids, coolant, etc.
    Regards, Ian.

Leave a comment:

• snowman
    replied
    sweet, thanks evan

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    You can use the direction pin but it will need a buffer to drive a relay. That can be a simple as a 2N2222 transistor and a resistor or two.

Look here:

http://www.dakeng.com/relay.htm
    Last edited by Evan; 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• snowman
    started a topic Mach 3 - Z move controlling solenoid

Mach 3 - Z move controlling solenoid

Can anyone explain to me how, in Mach 3, I can have a Z move control a solenoid.

For example

z-1., solenoid on
    z1., solenoid off

My depth of cut can just as easily be controlled with a stop, using a pneumatic cylinder with flow control to control the plunge speed....and then I can use my extra stepper on another project

would it work to just use the direction pin and put it to a 5v relay?
Working...
X