OT - Lawn and garden tractors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I may chime in here.

I was told by a old fella, a lawn tractor and a Garden tractor are defined by the number of lug nuts it has,or has not, the better will have a bolt pattern and seperate wheel and hub, the Lesser will have 1 axle nut holding on a uni-rim.

I have a 214 JD for a garden tractor, wonderful Unit.

Comment

I had a old JD 110. It was used hard and mistreated when I got it. 2 years ago it died and I replaced it with a JD 300 series. Turns shorter and is a great lawn tractor. I have about 1/2 acre of lawn and where I live you mow every 5 days in the summer. In the winter you mow about every 10 days depending on the rain.
      Bob

Comment

Best Bang for the Buck

If you just want a riding Lawn mower to cut a lot of grass, weeds ,rocks whatever, get one from TSC. 18 years ago I was "retired" by my place of work. I got a one month "special" body shoper job that paid about twice what I had been making and treated myself to a "special" deal at TSC on a mower that had a battery leak on it in transit. It is a two cylinder 46" cut, 5 speed unit . I have beat the cr*p out of it and it just keeps going. It cost about $1500. at the time and I have put one belt on it and welded a few broken brackets. The engine just keeps going. The name brands are over priced and don't last and longer.
        Good luck, John

Comment

Zero turn

If you need something to just mow the lawn look at a zero turn mower, the Craftsman that came with our house took 4 hrs. to cut our 2 acres, my zero turn can cut it in 1-1/2 hrs. I have a Ford 3910 that runs on LP that I was going to get a loader for, but I can't swing the cost right now so I think I will sell the Ford.
          Mike
          Brandon MI
          2003 MINI Cooper S JCW#249
          1971 Opel GT
          1985 Ford 3910LP

Comment

Several folks I know have picked up used zero-turns at municipal and university auctions and rebuilt them.Most times the engine is the major problem.You end up with a $4-6,000 mower for a couple grand and some elbow grease.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I had 42" Sears and kept it alive for three years using welder, ingenuity and lot of 4 letter words. Three years ago I bought used Kubota B1750 - love that thing. It does anything and more I asked from it, never broke down once. The biggest problem is it keeps asking for new implements

Comment

Mike of the North,

Do you mean something like this:

By the way, how do you like your Mini Cooper?

Comment

Speaking of the zero turns .... My Yard-Man is showing signs of its 14yrs of 2+ acres mowing and I've kinda been putting feelers out on them. Was talking to a fella the other day and he said one thing to STRONGLY pay attention to was to be sure and get one with ARM RESTS! He said his first one didnt have them and he was miserable after a short time of hanging on to the controls without support.... and sold it because of that. I could certainly see where that would be a big factor to me, and probably most folks.
                  If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

well with all your machines...it is hard to beat a ztm...get it done fast...regarding the crawler, it is one of a couple..that is the big one...it is a trackmaster...from the 40-50's sold to railroads etc ..tough machine, amazing the work it can do. here is a pic of the one im workin on now...it is an agricat...60-70's or somethin...workin on the tranny..then the clutch...if anyone has any bolt on clutch that could be bolted to a briggs (manual operated) I would love to see it. This one is toast...I can build a new one but it will be some work...a lot. Original plan was to convert to hydro drive..as has a pump to run bucket..but we will see. Bucket lifts to 6 ft...and is the size of a garden tractor...

good luck
                    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

Mike
                      You will want to do some research on this, but the zero turns with stamped decks can't cut as fast a ones with a fabricated deck, it has to do with how fast the government will allow the blades to spin on thinner gauge decks, thy measure the tip speed of the blade so I think shorter blades can spin faster, that is why most zero turn have three blades instead of the usual two on riding mowers. If your yard is not smooth like a golf course you will want to look into models with suspension on the front wheels, my ExMark's small front wheel fall into every little hole in my yard, I am getting ready to look into getting a suspension seat for mine. The Cub cadet you posted a picture of I think is rated for under 2 acres I could be wrong, a welded frame is better than a stamped frame, I could not justify the extra cost of getting a hydraulic drive, so mine is a hydrostatic drive.

I love the MINI, I don't get to drive it much, after we had are son and I became a stay at home dad, my wife uses it for her commute because it gets better gas mileage then our SUV, and there is not a lot of room for a car seat.
                      Mike
                      Brandon MI
                      2003 MINI Cooper S JCW#249
                      1971 Opel GT
                      1985 Ford 3910LP

Comment

I had three craftsman lawn tractors and a J C Penney .The J C Penney was a rear engine , it was good for small or tight spots.The frist craftsman I put 21 in. ATV tires on it.Used center of lawn mower rims,bolted to rim off old three wheeler.only big problem was trans. did not last.Be for you ask yes I know why thy did not last.
                        Bond

Comment

I have a Kubota BX1500 with the 54 inch mid-mount deck. It's a great machine and would highly recommend it.

Comment

For many years I owned an old Sears 16 HP lawn tractor. I'm told they were made by Simplicity. The motor was a kohler and I don't know who made the transmission but it was all cast iron with six forward speeds and two reverse speeds. We had a bunch of attachments for an old garden mule that I adapted to the lawn tractor. A single blade plow, a disc, and a large rototiller. I was very sad when I had to give it up. The guy I gave it to still uses it.

Comment

I HAD a 1971 Wheel Horse C-120. I wish I had never let it go. The mowing deck was pretty much shot, but it had a snowplow which I used more than anything. IMO, My yard is actually too small for a tractor. On the tractor, I spent as much time backing up or going over what I had already cut, as I did cutting. I can cut it with a push / self propelled mower in about thirty minutes.

I now have a 1969 JCPenney "Grass Handler". It was a freebie, 12 H.P. 38" mowing deck. I just picked it up two weeks ago, looks like new. I have yet to actually try it as a mower.

I never knew that JC Penney sold gardening equipment. I thought they were just clothes and houseware crap.
                              Last edited by ERBenoit; 06-16-2008, 04:25 PM.
                              Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

I never knew that JC Penney sold gardening equipment. I thought they were just clothes and houseware crap.

I still have some box wrenches I bought from JC Penny in the 70s

Comment

Working...
                                X