Would have been a good lathe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would have been a good lathe...

for someone,before the g'mint got hold of it.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1790384
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Nice! What did they do? Buy a new lathe then just sit it outside???
    Doesn't look like it saw much use does it?
    I see the "only" paid $12,000 for it!
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by torker
      Nice! What did they do? Buy a new lathe then just sit it outside???
      Doesn't look like it saw much use does it?
      I see the "only" paid $12,000 for it!
      Government acution,they like to let things sit outside and season before they sell them

They are famous for destroying large woodworking bandsaws(Oliver Yates Tannewitz)typical method they use is the pallet back flip meaning the 4,000lb cast iron saw is flipped over on it's back most times breaking the frame.

Comment

yep, i watched this sit for awhile drooling over some mills and lathes. seems most all are stored out side and left to rust awhile before selling.

Comment

But the worthless office chairs are all covered up carefully.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by quadrod
            yep, i watched this sit for awhile drooling over some mills and lathes. seems most all are stored out side and left to rust awhile before selling.
            This is all done stratigicly so the bidding will go sky high and bring in more money. If the machines were kept in the condition they were in when removed from service no one would bid on them, nothing to restore or fix . Nothing quite like the satisfaction of bringing a priceless treasure back to life.

Steve
            Brooklin Bridge For Sale...Cheap

Comment

I do not think that South Bend made many of that model. Seems that no one wanted to pay that much for a lathe that had the South Bend name on it. However, from what I have been told, it was a very good lathe. Gary P. Hansen
              In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by garyphansen
                I do not think that South Bend made many of that model. Seems that no one wanted to pay that much for a lathe that had the South Bend name on it. However, from what I have been told, it was a very good lathe. Gary P. Hansen
                Yep,on a par with a 10EE,but with one advantage the drive is much simpler.

Comment

That is just surface RUST . every day thing around here . Oil and steel wool are scotch bright then good as new .
                  Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                  http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                  http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Your Tax Dollars

Your tax dollars. I've ranted here before about the governments "surplus storage methods."

What they buy doesn't come "directly" out of any one individuals pocket, so I guess it is looked at like, "What ever happens to happens to it". They apparently don't care. Let it become, or at least look like a P.O.S., then try to sell it.

Imagine if the GOVERMENT entrusted YOU to take care of thier property, and you did so in that manner.
                    Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

I can't find the link right now, but there's a beautiful monarch on machinetools.com in government storage - they want 100k for it. Immaculate condition, from first glance. 20"x144" iirc, D2-8, two carriages, full length template holder, dual tracers. What a crazy machine that would be to own.

Comment

Originally posted by lane
                        That is just surface RUST . every day thing around here . Oil and steel wool are scotch bright then good as new .
                        On the outside,but I have noticed that gearboxes that won't normally hold oil will hold water.

Comment

Maho mill at the same sale,surface rust,water in the cabinets and probably the servos too

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=1792863

Comment

Working...
                          X