Solder Small SS Wire in Brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder Small SS Wire in Brass

I need to solder a 0.020" SS wire in a mating hole in a 1/8" brass stud. I have done a lot of electronic soldering but little of it has been on stainless. I would welcome any suggestions as to flux, type of solder, and temperature/duration of heat. I assume it would be a good idea to lightly sand the surface of the wire first.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Silver solder is what you need. You will need mapp but preferably acetylene with a 000 tip. Dip the wire in the flux and put it in the hole. Heat the rod only. When it starts to get red touch the silver solder to the joint. When its hot enough the solder will flow. Be careful not to get too hot.

Not silver bearing solder. Use Harris-Welco Safety-silv 56.

Also avoid sil-phos silver solders that are used for copper lines.

Comment

Unless the added strength is needed, there is no need for silver solder. Normal lead/tin solder and an acid flux can be used. Make sure to clean and neutralize the flux when done, as it can continue to corrode the stainless.

Clean both materials as usual and flux. Abrading the SS does help. Temperatures will depend on the solder being used, usually in the +- 500*F range, the material being soldered having little effect other than it's ability to conduct heat away. An 0.020 wire will have little effect. If the parts are larger than usual electronic parts, a propane torch might be needed.
      Jim H.

Comment

I've had good results with 5% silver/tin solder with stainless and carbon steel (think rifle front sight ramps on stainless barrels). You should have no problems with the same with stainless and brass. Sand the stainless with 320 grit paper, flux and tin it, flux the hole and go for it.

David
        Montezuma, IA
        David Kaiser
        “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
        ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by 38_Cal
          I've had good results with 5% silver/tin solder with stainless and carbon steel (think rifle front sight ramps on stainless barrels). You should have no problems with the same with stainless and brass. Sand the stainless with 320 grit paper, flux and tin it, flux the hole and go for it.

David
          Montezuma, IA
          I guess it is never to late to learn .I was told by more than one person that reg solder won't work on ss so I never tried it. Sure wish that I would have, could have saved lots of time and frustration over the years. . The more I think about it the more pissed I get for being so gulable.
          Steve

Comment

I've had great results with Sta-Kleen liquid flux and 60/40 soft solder. Soldered stainless to itself and brass. I think the Sta-Kleen is just zinc chloride solution, but I might be wrong. Whatever it is, clean it off well after you're done.

Joe

Comment

On a small part like that, use a Soldering Gun so as not to overheat.
              Apply flux and Tin (light coating of solder) the Stainless Pin first.
              Apply Flux to the Stud and heat until Solder flows, fill the hole and insert your Pin. Continue to heat for a few seconds until Solder flows evenly around the joint.

Tom M.

Comment

By the way, you can silver solder easily enough w/ a regular propane torch so long as the overall part isn't much bigger than a golfball.

- Bart
                Bart Smaalders
                http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

Working...
                X