Tool gloat - old Buffalo Forge drill press #66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool gloat - old Buffalo Forge drill press #66

A bit of searching on Craigs List turned up an old Buffalo Forge drill press for $35. So not wanting to see the thing in the scrap yard, I decided to pick it up.

Click for larger photo.

I have seen many of these mounted on posts in buildings and barns over the years. I have even seen a hand arbor press mounted the same way. It is a good mounting idea but... my stick built shop doesnt have any posts. So I am working on a metal bracket that will span the 2x4's and extend out from the wall just enough so I dont scrape my knuckles turning the handle. Will probably add a short pipe from the base down to thed floor as well. It will look good next to the old blacksmiths vise that I have. I dont know how much I will use it, but again, its better in the shop than being melted down to make an engine block for a Yugo.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Rock...good for you! Who cares if you use it.. it looks cool just sitting there.
    That could be a handy thing to have a countersink mounted in all the time. A couple of quick cranks...viola... nice countersunk holes.
    Up here...that's only worth a little more than a case of beer And if I remember right, that mostly ends up down the drain.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I had one of those as my only drill press for many years. Mine was a slightly fancier model with a half-nut on the feed, so you could pull the quill down with a lever for light work, or retract it easily after automatic feeding. You can do a lot with one of these if you're patient, and because of the uniform feed and slow speeds, it's very easy on drill bits.

I moved a little over 20 years ago, and never set mine back up, but I still have it. Maybe it's time to revive it.

Comment

Hey Rock, nice score. I have been looking for one at garage/estate sales but no luck yet. I want to fab one up on a trailer hitch reciever tube so it can be in the shop or on the back of my truck for portable work when in no mans land and I don't want to drag a gen set out for a few quick holes.
        Steve

Comment

I had a second look at that press, and I think the one you have is pretty unusual. It may not matter in use, and rarity may not be important, but it's the first of that sort that I've seen that did not mount the table on a tubular extension socketed into the base of the head. Those worked well, but if stressed could crack the head socket, and many that turn up are missing parts, such as the mounting bracket for the bottom of the tube, and sometimes the whole tube and table assembly. Yours looks like a potentially better design, if the adjustment of table height is convenient.

I like the idea of a hitch-mounted one. You could even mount an old receiver hitch vertically on a shop wall, and use the press at home that way.

Comment

I always figured one of those would make a great hand tapper on steroids
            Paul Carpenter
            Mapleton, IL

Comment

Originally posted by pcarpenter
              I always figured one of those would make a great hand tapper on steroids
              Fixed feed means you have to disengage the ratchet, and turn the feed manually, unless the press has half nuts. There's enough vertical slop, usually, to make it possible without getting the feed absolutely perfectly synchronized, but it's still pretty awkward, requiring two hands on the machine. But these presses allow you to re-position the crank for direct drive, which is a good speed for tapping.

Comment

Working...
              X