Shapers....yet again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shapers....yet again

I have no excuse,no shame. I'm iron addicted. So...how about some ideas on what has followed me home. This isn't a gloat yet, but depending on what you all say it may be. If not i"ll just go quitely to my shop and slit my throat.... (yeh right) Just aquired not one but two 7" shapers one a South Bend and the other a Logan. Ist and most obvious question: what are they worth? I paid $550. for the pair. How'ed I do?
    Next, opinions please on which is a better machine. The Logan doesn't have a vise but the SB does. One of them will have to go,but which one?
    And finally, no information on where the big ones are as I have NO self control
    Talk to me boys.....
    If I can figure it out I have pics to upload....hmmm
    http:/s20.photobucket.com/albums/b215/caddy545/
    Why isn't this blue?

You did fine, at $550 for the pair you could sell either and break even at the least. Does the Logan actually say 7 inch stroke on it? It looks like the later 8 inch to me. The South Bend not only has the vise, but the multiposition tool holder as well, the tool holders often sell for as much as the vise. The SB also has the pressure lubrication system for the ram and stroke block. As for "which is best", opinions will vary. I personally think the Logan is more machine. The SB is compact and probably has more resale value. Keep 'em both, start a fleet of shapers.

Joe

Comment

Shaper

I have a Logan 7" with the correct vise and it does a fine job in my shop. Does the S.B have the correct vise? The Logan has a chain final drive while the S.B. has a fiber gear in the system. Check the condition of the gear. I expect a good vise would go for around $300+ if you can find one.

JRW

Comment

On all of the South Bends I've seen the oil pump ones all had steel gears, while the manually lubes ones had phenolic gears. There are exceptions, no doubt. The vise in the picture is the correct SB vise.

Joe

Comment

Oops, tried to fix your link but didn't. The [IMG] & the [/IMG] and the (Picture Name).jpg is missing.
          Last edited by DICKEYBIRD; 06-15-2008, 08:14 PM.
          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Keep the Logan sell the South Bend for $600.00 and buy a vise for the Logan and put money away for something else . Thats what I would do.
            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

My SB with oil pump appears to have all metal gears. If yours is working right, it's pretty nice, especially with the right vise and holder. I see you also have the factory cabinet, a plus. It should clean up nicely. I paid 650 for mine, with no cabinet, (but in really nice condition, clean paint, no rust, no crash marks, ready to work, with vise and holder) and thought myself pretty lucky. Deduct a hundred bucks or so for bad paint and rust, and you could easily figure you got the Logan free.

So feel free to gloat. I think either one would be good to keep, depending in part on which one seems to work better for you, and which one just feels more friendly to use. I'd look them over carefully and try them to see which one seems to work best with least chatter and flex. At a glance, the Logan looks as if it might be a little stouter, but the SB is a very nice machine too.

Comment

shapers.....yet again

Hey everyone
                Thanks for the responses. I did some preliminary cleaning and both machines seem to be OK other than dirty. The SB has a steel gear and the Logan does seem to be a somewhat stouter machine albeit missing the vise.
                What to do, what to do. Dang, I'm just thankful I have an option at all. I feel very lucky to have run across them especially since they were less than five miles from my place.
                Well, I'll just make a mini gloat, It was indeed fun to make the "discovery" and haul them home. Maybe I should keep both? Hard to justify,but I'll bet I can! No, money is needed to fill the hole in my checkbook.
                Thanks
                Caddy

Comment

Don't listen to them - you got taken. Cut your losses now and I'll come and pick up those pieces of junk at no charge

Comment

shapers.....yet again

I knew it!! OK they are on the front porch.

Comment

Originally posted by caddy
                      Maybe I should keep both? Hard to justify,but I'll bet I can! No, money is needed to fill the hole in my checkbook.
                      Since you answered your own question, in which I find no fault, I would suggest you use the SB for vice setups, and the Logan for setups that are clamped directly to the table. That way it saves time and gives you one more reason (even if it is a little weak ) to keep two shapers.

ME

Comment

Originally posted by caddy
                        If I can figure it out I have pics to upload....hmmm
                        http:/s20.photobucket.com/albums/b215/caddy545/
                        Why isn't this blue?
                        You missed a / from the link:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b215/caddy545/
                        Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                        Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                        Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                        X