Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    I haven't really been paying attention. I'm sure the gas prices have put the squeeze on some, but there's still some monster land-barge RVs running around.

I'm told- word of mouth- that reservations, for everything from RV parks to fishing guides to bed-and-breakfasts, are down noticibly from last year. By how much and by which metrics I can't say. Neighbors have a B&B, and she tells me they're usually almost completely booked by this time of the year, but rught now there's room to spare.

We suspect that there'll be more tourists flying up and renting (a car, truck or RV) than driving up, so I'd bet the rooms for rent will come to a squeeze here shortly.

Fortunately, I'm not in the touristy-oriented biz.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• garyphansen
    replied
    Doc: Speaking of tourists, are you seeing a lot of plates on cars from the lower 48 or has the high gas price cut down on them. Are you still seeing a lot of tourists from Anchorage. Gary P. Hansen

Leave a comment:

• Michael Edwards
    replied
    Great pics. I like the idea of a swivel jaw, seems to me that would be handier than a twin screw vise. It would be neat if they set the shaper up to run. Too bad they didn't leave in an old canning line, I think the tourists would have liked to see that also. Typically they would have had a can reforming line upstairs. The can bodies would have been made in the lower 48 then flattened, then shipped up there. They would then reform the body, flange each end, seam the bottom end on, the send it downstairs to be filled, seamed and cooked. Later on Alaska went to a two piece can ( can and lid ) with a tapered sidewall. The tapered cans achieve the space savings like the flattened can, but didn't require the reforming step.

ME

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Thanks for the pics.. I love that old stuff. We have an old blacksmith shop here in town that still has line shaft transmission. Most of the tools are on direct electrical now but the last time I was out there he still had a trip hammer on the line..

And Im a fan of shapers, just love them JR

Leave a comment:

• tiptop
    replied
    Well I am a sucker for old lineshaft stuff. I have three peices I would like to put back to lineshaft drive. Jay

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    started a topic And even more shapers!

And even more shapers!

No, I didn't bring this one home this time.

This is sort of "mall art"- it's in a converted fish cannery that dates back to the 20s, and finally closed for good in 1998. In the past three or four years, some investors have worked to convert it to a tourist trap, leaving some of the old fixtures and whatnot. The main factory-floor building, a 2-1/2 story affair, has been converted to touristy shops; it's only about a sixth full right now, so there were some open spaces that I could wander through, that probably wouldn't be open to greater traffic.

This shaper, a Perine according to the brass tag on the tool slide, is right in the entrance. Looks in good shape, parts have been slathered with a grease or cosmoline-type preservative, probably when it was first mothballed many moons ago, not more recently during the rebuild.

There's still a tool in the holder, a round-nosed HSS piece, and as you can see, it's still got the bloody vise with the swivel jaw. The vise is an easy 14" long and probably weighs 200 pounds. I don't think I could slip it into my back pocket without somebody noticing.

It's a lineshaft gear shaper, the directional-switching mechanism looks complete and even functional. I'm guessing it has a 16" to 18" stroke.

Upstairs is largely empty, but curiosity got the better of me, and I went for a walk. Above that floor is a sort of partial floor in the rafters, probably where things like empty cans and boxes were stored. But, there's also considerable lineshaft remnants:

There's two shafts there, with a motor on each one. You can see one at the far right, the other is roughly in the middle of the image with the V-velt pointing to the left.

There's some loose leather belts hanging off the left end of the shaft, and a third complete line to the extreme left (out of this picture) perpendicular to these two.

There's also a right-angle bevel-drive gearbox, hanging below the lefthand shaft, but I don't know if that was supposed to connect the two. If so, there's ten or fifteen feet of shaft missing.

The rafters- that the upper sorta-floor sit on- are notched in many places, clearly to accomodate various long-disappeared machinery. (No, I don't know what happened to all the canning equipment.)

It was an interesting look. I've known of this place for years, but never got around to checking it out 'til now. The restaurant supposedly had some lineshafts in it too, but it was pretty busy and I didn't feel like going in just to play tourist.

Doc.
Working...
X