Source of gray iron bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source of gray iron bar?

I have been looking for reasonable source of gray iron bar. I need bar .625 to .75 thick, and a bit over 2" wide. Finding sizes of stock which is that size, or sensibly cuttable to it seems difficult for some odd reason.

MSC, McMaster etc have perfect stuff, if sliced across the bar to width. But, they sell it in 24" lengths only, which is MUCH more than I need for now, and are quite proud of it, money-wise, which isn't helped by having to buy 6 x what is needed.

Metal Express is right here in town, but..... they also don't have good sizes, plus they are open banker's hours, and are located at the opposite end of town from work, 15 traffic-clogged miles away, so are not a good option. The good part is they WILL cut and sell most any size, but that doesn't help much.

others don't seem to have the gray iron....

Googling got so many hits that no amount of modifier words seemed to cut it down to a reasonable search....

Other sources?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Here you go,sold by the inch or foot-

http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8387-flat.aspx
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I remembered this from a lazlo post a while back.

http://www.dura-bar.com/

Comment

J Tiers, I just bought 18 peices from these folks, for a scraping class I am hosting. They were very easy to deal with and fast. Jay

http://www.versa-bar.com/
        "Just build it and be done"

Comment

I too have purchased from the versa-bar folks and they were good to deal with. In my case they were able to find me a piece close to my desired length which saved me a cut charge as I recall.

If you are not familiar with this stuff, its continuous-cast (basically extruded through a die) and as such has fewer stresses than traditionally cast iron. It also supposedly doesn't suffer from the chilled skin that traditional cast iron gets from hitting a cold mold. Its also free of voids because of the process. Pretty neat stuff.

Paul
          Paul Carpenter
          Mapleton, IL

Comment

Originally posted by ckelloug
            I remembered this from a lazlo post a while back.

http://www.dura-bar.com/
            Dura-Bar actually doesn't sell out of the foundry, like VersaBar does. I get my DuraBar from my "local" distributor, which is Lokey Metals in Dallas. Metal Express is also DuraBar distributor.

Originally posted by JTiers
            Metal Express is right here in town, but..... they also don't have good sizes, plus they are open banker's hours, and are located at the opposite end of town from work, 15 traffic-clogged miles away, so are not a good option.
            If you have to ship the DuraBar/VersaBar, the freight changes the economics a lot.

Versa-Bar is the same stuff (high-tech continuously-cast iron). They have cheap shipping too.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by pcarpenter
              It also supposedly doesn't suffer from the chilled skin that traditional cast iron gets from hitting a cold mold. Its also free of voids because of the process. Pretty neat stuff.
              Agreed -- I love Dura-Bar/Versa-Bar.

Because of the extrusion method, it's a lot more consistent than even the finest foundry-cast cast iron.

I was also surprised that the price has not exploded nearly as much as steel or aluminum: I bought some Class 40 Grey Cast Iron from Speedy last week, and it worked out to $1.60 /lb before shipping. Before the oil crisis (2005), I was paying $1.35/lb, so the price increases for cast iron seem pretty modest.

Speedy (which has great prices) is selling 6061 for over $6.50/lb now -- Good Grief!
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Thanks, but it looks like EVERY one of them has the EXACT same source........ All have just about the EXACT same sizes, none of which fits well.

That means I would have to waste out about 40% of the material as off-cuts in useless sizes, which is not too pleasing, as it ain't cheap, and shipping ain't either.

I might be better off to get a long piece from McMaster or whatever. I could slice off crosswise pieces of it..... It would be very expensive, and I'd have a lot left, but it won't be in such obnoxiously useless bits of off-cut....

I got another idea to try also.....

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                  Thanks, but it looks like EVERY one of them has the EXACT same source........ All have just about the EXACT same sizes, none of which fits well.
                  Definitely not the same source. McMaster and MetalExpress sell DuraBar. VersaBar comes directly from the VersaBar foundry.

I haven't gotten my order from Speedy yet, but their prices are lower than DuraBar and VersaBar direct, so I'm curious what it's going to turn out as...

I know when I was talking to the VersaBar guys, they wouldn't cut the extruded slabs thinner than about a third of an inch, because they said it would curl, but other than that, they had a huge assortment of stock sizes.

Comment

Jerry, I just checked the VersaBar catalog, and they have .75 x 2.25 saw-cut plate in both gray and ductile. They list it as .44 the pounds per inch of length, and it's running around $1.65/pound.

I have their paper catalog, but you can download the electronic version here. Check out page 13:

http://www.versa-bar.com/MachGuide/V..._landscape.pdf

Comment

I'd have to go thru speedy etc, since my order won't get up there for the Versabar minimums.....

Speedy etc don't have the slabs. McMaster does, but only a lot wider.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

I think I've bought as little as $40 orders from the VersaBar foundry -- what did they tell your their minimum order was?

Comment

Working...
                        X