A Pair of Shopbuilt Belt Grinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wtrueman
    What you had your finger on looks like a vise used by tennis racket stringers? Wayne.
    Interesting, but no.
    It is off a US big name, machine shop machine.

Comment

Guide mount off a DoAll bandsaw?
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

looking very nice good work you should rightly be proud of your work.Can anyone tell me do you need to use the hamerite special thinners when spraying their paint I have a feeling normal thinners works fine, but hamerite say no.So which is it?? Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
          looking very nice good work you should rightly be proud of your work.Can anyone tell me do you need to use the hamerite special thinners when spraying their paint I have a feeling normal thinners works fine, but hamerite say no.So which is it?? Alistair
          Alistair,I used ordinary automotive enamel reducer with good results.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

20 questions I am going to try. Looks like a rear motor mount bracket of a number 12 Van Norman mill If the 3 holes were already in it and spotfaced But you did a little machining on it.
            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
              Guide mount off a DoAll bandsaw?
              Nope.

Originally posted by lane
              20 questions I am going to try. Looks like a rear motor mount bracket of a number 12 Van Norman mill If the 3 holes were already in it and spotfaced But you did a little machining on it.
              Now we are getting somewhere!!

All the holes were already there with the exception of the 8 buttonhead on top.
              On the left side I drilled out and tapped the 3 holes to a larger 3/4" NC and on the right just plugged the existing 1/2" NC with set screws.
              The only other machine work was a pass or two on the top to mount the buttonhead plate on.
              Even the 4 - 1/2" NC holes for fastening to my 8" channel riser were existing.

That is why this motor mount (not a VN though) begged to be reborn as a KMG clone.

Comment

Very nice job. I also find that a belt sander is a great tool in the metal shop. I just have a small 1" belt, but use it all the time. I find it is absolutely great for the final work on tool bits. And a small spray of WD on the belt will finish aluminum to almost a mirror finish.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by cijuanni
                  Finally got these done!!

All of the motors, knobs, handles, springs, stand, casters and materials were from the local scrap yard, with a few exceptions. I even found a good size piece of blanchard ground medium carbon plate for the tool rests. I gathered it all up dove in and found I needed a few other things an so it sat and aged for a year.

The one on the right is a typical 2x48 grinder. All aluminum frame, base and arm. The back piece is 4" channel screwed together with buttonhead screws. I originally thought about having it portable and able to lay on its back and use the upper wheel, plans changed when I found that rolling stand. Belt speed is a little under 5000 fpm. 1 hp Baldor 3450 rpm motor, seem to have plenty of umph.

The one on the left is a KMG clone. 2hp 3450rpm Baldor 3 phase motor, that I run off a VFD, so it is variable speed. I found the main piece of cast iron already milled for a 1"x2" bar, so that is what I used. I decided to try and use mostly cast iron for this one and did except for a few pieces.

I bought the 3 1/2" serrated contact wheels from Multitool, they work great! And the tracking wheel from Beaumont. I have a 10" diameter wheel for the KMG that I will also be fitting.

Anyone recognise what machine the main piece of cast iron is that I am pointing at is off of?
                  No cheating!

Good job!

How about a few more pictures from the sides and back for those....cough.cough....who might want to copy your excellent work.

Thanks

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                    Good job!

How about a few more pictures from the sides and back for those....cough.cough....who might want to copy your excellent work.

Thanks

TMT
                    Be happy to.
                    Perhaps you should delete those copies in your post since there is a 4 pic limit.

Here you go.

Back of the 2x48

Back of the KMG

Right side KMG

I should have the 10" wheel assembly done tommorrow, will post more.

Comment

Base for arbor press.

Comment

So, are you ever going to tell us what the part came off of? Gary P. Hansen
                        In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by cijuanni

Anyone recognise what machine the main piece of cast iron is that I am pointing at is off of?
                          No cheating!
                          I know, I know!

I guess that "No cheating" was directed at me? <grin>

Man, I wish I had the energy to finish up my long languishing KMG project. You sure did a fine job of that...
                          Russ
                          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by garyphansen
                            So, are you ever going to tell us what the part came off of? Gary P. Hansen
                            Yes.
                            It was off of a Hardinge CHNC lathe, the motor mounts. Like this one http://www.centroidcnc.com/hardinge_chnc.htm On the Hardinge the motor mounts with a C face mount to a cast iron plate. The plate slides between two mounts like I used.
                            When I parted out a CHNC that mount look perfect for a KMG clone. The bottom surface and the 1"x2" slot were precision ground.

I took off two mounts and gave the other to BadDog. He hasn't touc..... ahem...he is seasoning the cast iron before he starts on it .

Photos with the 10" wheel.

I used a piece of SS angle to support the table, kind of flimsy and had to shim it down for clearance. I will replace it when a piece of CR bar surfaces.

I got the wheel from Grizzly, $65. It came balanced (or has balancing holes drilled in it) runs nice and true with little vibration.
                            http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2008/Main/144

Comment

A pair of Shopbuilt Belt Grinders

Great work. I would love to make one. One of these days. mojo

Comment

HD shop built grinder

Here are a couple pics of a shop built grinder I built for the machine shop I retired from. Our roll grinder(paper machine rolls) took 4" x 132" belts for rubber covered and nonferrous rolls. Both aluminum oxide and silicon carbide belts are used and many of them still have lots of life left in them for hand grinding even after they're no longer sharp enough for the roll grinder. One end of the main spindle carries a 14" dia. disk grinder that uses pre-glued abrasive disks. The other end has a rotatable back plate and toothed belt drive to one of the 3 different diameter grooved rubber contact wheels, 6",
                                8" and 10". The back plate also has an open slackbelt polishing area and a 4" x 10" platen/ rest, any of which may be rotated to the opperating position. The dust collector is a surplus industrial hi volume vacuum pumpsucking through a filtered BBL that needs more reinforcement inside to keep it from collapsing. The spindle is powered by a 5HP 3PH motor. Looks a little scuzzy in these pics, but it's in use so much that it just gets that way. Fun project.

lwbates

Comment

Working...
                                X