I Finally Bought an Anvil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Finally Bought an Anvil!

Got up Monday morning and immediately scanned the Craigslist ads. Found an ad for farrier's tools and supplies at 1/2 price or less. So I replied, and the guy called me and we arranged a time for me to see the stuff. I drove down and looked it all over, and this anvil followed me home.

It's a 125 pound Cliff Carroll, unused. And I got it for about 1/2 price! ($230.00) That's less than $2.00/pound...I've seen some pretty ratty anvils go for more than that.

So now I figure that anything I can't make with sufficient accuracy on my lathe I can batter into tolerance.

I'm busy now leveling and bricking a work area outside the shop (covered, of course) and as soon as I get that done I'll be moving this to it's permanent spot and we'll soon see just how much damage I can really do.

Wow, you got a bargain. Looks like about 1/2 price, based on Centaur's list.

http://www.centaurforge.com/products.asp?dept=144
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

congratulations, now you have something to set things on like me!

It currently provides a very sturdy support to my hydraulic pipe bender!

I even left a pair of tongs at the scrapyard today because I just didn't see the point in hauling them home.

Comment

Look out Wiley Coyote.

Comment

Levelling the Anvil

I think we now simply must discuss how to correctly level the Anvil.

An Engineer's Master Level as a minimum I would think!

What about Longitudinal Twist?
          Would it still be level if used on a ship??
          Perhaps a photo of an Anvil on wheels!

Good find. Enjoy.

Rgds
          Michael

Australia

Comment

I spiked mine down to an old tree stump and then scraped it level. That is a whole lot easier than than trying to shim it straight and get all of the twist out.

Comment

please dont use bar oil on it...

Comment

Originally posted by miker
                I think we now simply must discuss how to correctly level the Anvil.

An Engineer's Master Level as a minimum I would think!

What about Longitudinal Twist?
                Would it still be level if used on a ship??
                Perhaps a photo of an Anvil on wheels!

Good find. Enjoy.

Rgds
                Should it be scraped before or after leveling?

Comment

Originally posted by bruto
                  Should it be scraped before or after leveling?
                  I think it should be scrapped [sic] after leveling.

Comment

Whata good deal!! I always have my ear to the rail for a nice anvil somewhat local that they dont want an arm and an ear for. No such luck for me. That baby looks brand new.. Good score.. Ill keep hammering on my railroad rail till I get a score like that.. JR
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

No before, then you have a datum plane for the level.
                      Harry

Comment

Nice anvil!

Now for a hardy and pritchel (not sure the spelling is correct)and some borax powder for welding. I lucked into an old crank type blower for my forge.
                        My forge is a brake drum with a band around it with three plates welded to it for legs. I only have a cheap Chinese anvil 55 pounds but its much better than none.
                        Chuck
                        Last edited by Yankee1; 06-20-2008, 06:38 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Comment

What do ya mean level it? From the looks of it, when you mount it, it will just pull the earth into proper alignment under it.

Nice find.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Anvil use

Nice - very nice indeed.

Use it "as is". Make it "sing" - to back-ground music "Anvil Chorus" - fabulous music!!
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anvil_Chorus

We have two quite successful "iron-workers" here, the names of which are: "Ironic Twist" and "Bent and Twisted".

I have had an interest in Black-smithing and "forge/torch and anvil work" for as long as I can remember. That and "glass-blowing" are things that I cannot resist watching - anywhere!! Real craftsmanship and challenge but hugely satisfying!!

I jumped at the opportunity to buy an excellent book (best I've seen) - paid AU$35 (say US$33) and I'd have paid double that!! - by a woman Black-smith (who really knows her stuff!!) - details are as the following pics and links.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...mith_book4.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...mith_book5.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...mith_book6.jpg

Comment

Anvil

Anvils seem to be out of site. If you can use alittle smaller one. Its not near as pretty as the one we just looked at. Try Harbor freight. They have a 55pounder for $50.00. I am a wimp with a terible back. I am going to get the 15 pounder. mojo

Comment

Working...
                              X