EBay to strengthen PayPal's anti-fraud provisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBay to strengthen PayPal's anti-fraud provisions

A side note...I could have posted this on the OTHER machinist site but I chose to post this information on the site that respects its members and their contributions. ;<)

TMT

EBay to strengthen PayPal's anti-fraud provisions Thu Jun 19, 2:19 PM ET

EBay Inc. hopes to attract more online traders by expanding the protections available to people who use its PayPal payment service for transactions on eBay's Internet marketplaces.

EBay executives said Thursday at the company's annual user conference that buyers who pay for items with PayPal will be eligible for full refunds, with no cap, if a seller fails to deliver an item as promised. Previously a buyer's coverage was capped at $200, or $2,000 if the item's seller enjoyed a particularly good reputation on eBay.

EBay sellers who accept PayPal as a payment method — as nearly all of them do — will also get unlimited protection against a charge being reversed. Such reversals can happen if a buyer claims not to get an item, or if a payment is fraudulently made. Previously sellers' coverage had an annual limit of $5,000, and applied only for shipments to the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.

PayPal spokeswoman Sara Gorman said the changes, due to take effect this fall, reflect the service's increasing confidence in its ability to spot and block many fraudulent transactions before they occur.

The steps come as eBay is trying several measures aimed at making its auctions and fixed-price listings easier and safer to use. Recently eBay revamped its feedback mechanisms and introduced new incentives for frequent sellers.

However, an earlier attempt to drive use of PayPal has encountered friction. The company recently postponed plans to require PayPal on all transactions in Australia after that nation's antitrust regulator raised objections.

They are making it ...
    So that buyers who do not go through paypal ...will be less protected ...and feel that way !!!!...

EBAY/PAYPAL WINS

So they go through paypal ...and cost the seller 3.5 percent or what ever it is ...

EBAY/PAYPAL WINS

Paypal is free of the 3.5 percent ...if you do under a certain amount of selling each time period ..

But if some joker comes along ...and pays by debit card / credit card through paypal ..you have to pay the 3.5 percent...you got two lives on debit credit cards...then it isn't free anymore

Does anyone ...know how you can sell something with pay pal included and exclude the debit credit card people ...

Trouble is ...also ...most of those debit card people don't know they are costing you lives and money...and are not sure what they are really doing when they pay ..They are also not sure weather their money is going direct ..or through direct bank transfer ...so don't know right up to the end ...untill they are asked for their credit card number ...how they are paying.

So how the hell do you tell them on the listing to p**s off and not bid.

all the best..markj

Comment

This looks like it opens the door for one off, hit and run, too good to be true listings that are just that. The seller has no skin in the game, the buyer has no skin in the game, and Ebay/PayPal have insurance to cover their loses. I'd expect there to be more, not fewer scams.

This analysis brought to you by the School of Unintended Consequences.

Comment

If you read the fine print, purchases made in months without a "Q" in the name are probably excluded. Pay Pal has been badgering me for years to give them a bank account number. I read their "You're always protected... BS and believe the disparity between the "promise" and the details is the biggest lie I have ever seen in all of internetdom.

Comment

Wasteage factor

One reason the interest rates on credit cards is as high as it is, is because the banks factor in 'wasteage', maybe 4 or 5% to cover fraud and bad debts. The reliable people pay for the deadbeats out there.

Similarly with the PayBay anti scam guarantees, it won't cost them a cent, you and I will pay for it through ever increasing fees.

In the not too distant future more and more sellers will be saying in their ads something like 'your bid is for COD only, if you want to pay by PayPal there will be a 10% fee to cover my additional costs'.

Comment

Originally posted by bob ward
            One reason the interest rates on credit cards is as high as it is, is because the banks factor in 'wasteage', maybe 4 or 5% to cover fraud and bad debts. The reliable people pay for the deadbeats out there.

Similarly with the PayBay anti scam guarantees, it won't cost them a cent, you and I will pay for it through ever increasing fees.

In the not too distant future more and more sellers will be saying in their ads something like 'your bid is for COD only, if you want to pay by PayPal there will be a 10% fee to cover my additional costs'.
            Sorry Bob.

Not permitted:
            Charging an extra fee to use a credit card instead of a check.
            Charging an extra fee to use PayPal.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...urcharges.html

Comment

Working...
            X