Yard sale gloat, v2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yard sale gloat, v2008

The same fellow that I bought a load of U.S. made large drill bits, files, taps and a bunch of other stuff for crazy cheap $$ from last year had another yard sale today. Not as much tooling this time but still some useful items.

I put a pile of stuff in one metal drawer that I figured would be about $20.00 and was gonna pay up leave but he said “Gimme $5 for it or go fill up another one and make it $10. Gotta love it.

There’s a brand new 800w Chromalox brand heating element; reckon a feller could make a little oven to heat up small parts for shrink-fitting or maybe a little tempering of hardened parts? The housing is a stout aluminum extrusion so would be a natural to just bolt a grill on top & make a hot dog cooker. Hey, that’s the ticket. Lets’s see a stepper driven rotisserie, a thermocouple feedback monitor system to guarantee the perfect ‘dog, every time!

There’s a couple brand new bolt-on 12v lamps; looks like for lawn tractors or back-up lights, 2 stacks of big steel collars, a 1 lb roll of solder, 40 brand new Sawzall blades of misc lengths and tooth pitches, 4 heavy duty forged lifting eyes of varying sizes, a 160 psi pressure gauge with fittings, new can of contact cleaner, a stack of brass pipe reducer adapters, a new 8” abrasive cutoff wheel, a double hand-full of pipe fittings, a list of other misc. widgets, not to mention 2 sturdy military-surplus drawers I carried the stuff out in.

There’s also 3 brand new bronze gear pumps made by the LOBEE pump co. The inlet & outlets are ½” pipe thread, the drive shaft is ½” dia. and the shaft seal has an adjustable gland/nut with a lock fitting to keep it from turning. There are 2, 7-lobe brass gears inside about 1 ½” in dia. and 1” thick. Looks like what I’m used to seeing inside an automotive oil pump except the gears are brass instead of steel. Anybody have a clue what they’re intended use is? Perhaps some kind of big machine oiler pump? Oil fired boiler pump? Worth having around in a HSM shop?

And…even throwing all the above stuff in the trash I would’ve still made a good deal. There’s 4 brand-new USA-made solid carbide center drills and a Weldon 3/8” HSS c/sink bit, new as well. Heck that #6 carbide center drill is $49.95 on sale at Enco!

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

You missed the best bit.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Dang you're quick Sir John. I would've mentioned it but unfortunately it had a little "Made in China" tag on the bottom & I didn't want to start a flame war over the relative merits of US vs. Chinese made church keys.
      Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Dickybird, nice haul for only ten bucks!
        With all the twist tops out now a wood handled church key is getting hard to find no matter where it comes from, especially a pristine one.

Here's a little info on the pump.

http://www.lobee.com/gear/index.html
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Hey thanks Willy; that's very similar to the pumps I have. It's good to see a US metal manufacturing co. still in business!
          Milton

Comment

I did a quick Google search on the heater element and it looks like I did OK on my $10.00 yard-sale investment. $129.00 for the Chromalox RUTU-2! It's brand new as well.

The blurb off the website even mentions "shrink fitting" applications and 1500 deg. max. temp. That oughta be useful for sumthin'.

• 3.66 kW/Ft 2
            • 0.8 - 3.6 kW
            • 120, 208, 240, 275 and 480 Volt
            • 3/8" Dia. INCOLOY ® Sheath Elements (type UTU)
            • 1500°F Max. Sheath Temp.

Applications

• High Intensity Applications
            • Fast-Moving Webs and other applications where high temperatures will not damage materials
            • Roll Heating
            • Shrink Fitting
            • Preheat Glass for Polishing, Drying, Sterilizing
            Milton

Comment

Oh, man, you've got a much better class of yard sales than we do around here!

David
              Montezuma, IA
              David Kaiser
              “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
              ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

yeah, well i left the scrapyard today with a dake 001 arbor press in great condition

i left a rough SB9 sitting there, it hurt me to do it. if i had had a truck, i would have tossed it in, but with a car that only holds a few hundred pounds of steel, the sb9 would have made my load look a little light....and at .40/lb, I sure as heck wasn't paying to take it out

Comment

I've been looking for a heater just like that

Comment

I love those "junk box" assortments. It's like Christmas!

Nice pumps. They'll pump just about anything, but don't like abrasive crap, so don't run them for water without a strainer. A lot of those pumps get used for things like heavy oil, road tar, industrial adhesives - any application that requires reasonably high pressure transfer of thick liquids. I have a big old one I got at a dump many years ago, that had been used for road oil back in the days when they would do spring maintenance by spraying black oil on the roads and then spreading sand. Take your car out the next day and get a free undercoating job.

Here's one like yours, I think:

http://www.lobee.com/gear/lal.html

e.t.a. I see willy beat me to the pump info. great minds, etc.....

Comment

Working...
                    X