Carbide tipped masonry bit in metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbide tipped masonry bit in metal?

I got a package of regular length and 1 - 6" long 3/16" carbide tipped masonry bits in a yard sale and was wondering if they would work in a pinch to drill metal that's too hard for normal HSS bits.

If possible, would I be correct in assuming they would need to re-sharpened to different angles? I have a diamond wheel and could do that if needed or is the whole thought process just plain wrong?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

It's worked for me the one time I used one for drilling a hanging hole in a hard stainless rule. I don't recall exactly changing the cutting angle, but I did sharpen the bit.
    Cheers,

Frank Ford
    HomeShopTech

Comment

I sharpened a 1/8" masonry bit on a diamond hone and use it to remove the tip that snaps off of small center drills when I don't oil them

John

Comment

They work as is, but work better if you sharpen them. The factory tip is shaped more like a chisel, and scrapes more then cuts.

I normally use them on hardened material, simply because I normally get two or three a day free in boxes of tap-cons and other fasteners, we use SDS and they always include a bit or two in the boxes.

ken

Comment

I have used them after sharpening them with a Drill Doctor. I sharpened them just like HSS drills, NOT like masonery drills. They work a treat.
          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Yep I use them all the time,like said just sharpen up the edges a little.
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Great! More almost free tools in the arsenal. Dang I'm a cheap bastid.
              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Same here -- I use masonry bits to drill cast iron.

Masonry bits have negative rake, and very little clearance angle. They're also really dull out of the package. But a Drill Doctor will touch them up really nicely.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Every time a Ford FE engine comes in with leaking exhaust manifold gaskets, They are the ONLY thing that saves the day.

Comment

But how often does the average mechanic see an FE motor these days?
                    Was always a huge fan of the FE, mostly because of their smaller size compared to other engines with the same displacement. I was always a big motor in little car type, and I could pack a 406 or 428 in some tiny little cars.

Ken.

Comment

I have a small drawer full of them. All re-ground and they work great for when Im burning up a cobalt bit, like on some stainless. And I dont mind trashing it if I abuse it, they are cheap, specially used. They may be done without sharpening for the mason. But if I can buy a small box of them for ten bucks I have a life time supply after the cuttermaster grinds them, still plenty of carbide left. And they are really durable, think about the impact they were designed for... JR
                      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I've got a couple of "carbide tipped boring bars" that my step-dad made from masonry drills probably forty or fifty years ago for his little 6" Atlas lathe that I still use from time to time.

David
                        Montezuma, IA
                        David Kaiser
                        “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                        ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by kendall
                          But how often does the average mechanic see an FE motor these days?
                          Was always a huge fan of the FE, mostly because of their smaller size compared to other engines with the same displacement. I was always a big motor in little car type, and I could pack a 406 or 428 in some tiny little cars.

Ken.

Can't speak for the others, but me, quite often. Short of Smithfield Hams, Farming is still the biggest industry here. Still working on '60's '70's trucks. If they will start, Farmers will use them regardless if they will stop or steer.

Lee

Comment

"I've got a couple of "carbide tipped boring bars" that my step-dad made from masonry drills"

Now there's a damn fine idea! I've got dozens of carbide drills from my cottage-bashing days.

Thanks David.
                            Just got my head together
                            now my body's falling apart

Comment

Yep.. I love them things. One saved the day awhile back. We welded plugs in a cast wheel hub then had to redrill the bolt pattern.
                              There were some hard spots in those I couldn't believe. The mason drill went through it like cheese.
                              Thanks again Darin...
                              Russ
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X