Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some heavy horizontal milling advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some heavy horizontal milling advice please!

Hey guys! The "continuing dilema". The Van Norman mill I just got.. I have to add an addition to my shop for the damm thing.
    Trying to figure the future... Can you guys tell me a few of the (bigger)jobs you've done on these big mills?
    I want to make sure I can use this ol' girl to the best advantage so I'd like to have a better idea how much room I'll need.
    I think I'm getting a big I beam (24 ft long)for free...it should be big enough to make a full span rail hoist affair over the mill so I don't have to break my back anymore than I already have.
    I'll have to make sure the beam and hoist are load rated... but for what?
    All the weird jobs I get up here... what could I be putting on the mill table in the future?
    I'm planning a pass through door outside so I can cut keyways on long shafts. But I'm not sure what else to plan for. Milling the doors off a Yugo???
    Thigh reductions for fat girls???
    Thanks for any input!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Torker, Its hard to see the future, but I think you need to see what kind of heavy industry is in your surrounding area and the size of the work potential these people could ask to have done, then build lifting equipment to handle that type of work. Most small shops have a nice little lathe and a BP type mill. With larger equipment you can do work that might have to be sent many miles away to be done. Your choice as to how big to go. JIM
    jim

Comment

I hear you Jim, but I don't have a lot of experience on a horizontal mill other than home stuff with my Ohio.
      The last place I worked at had two big horizontals. One never got used the whole time I was there and the other was mostly used to cut keyways in some pretty big shafts(4" diaX 12ft long).
      I could do that job as I've seen it done. It's the other things you guys have done that I have no clue about.
      We have a wide range of industry here. Logging/farming equipment, mining and such.
      I bought this mainly for my interest in gear cutting but it has far more potential than that.
      Hard for me to figure what "could" come through the door.
      Maybe a dumb question... but I'm the king of that around here anyway
      Russ
      Last edited by torker; 06-22-2008, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Ya,a hoist trolley and a 1ton hoist are a must,same thing for a big lathe.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

We used to take down odd sizes of steel blocks to make what we needed. Sometimes as much as .25 a pass. I'm talkin' 6x10x18 inches. on an old Cinncinati.

Comment

Geez, that's just awful having to build room for a new mill especially when you need to think about all the humungous stuff you can put on it. Wish I could give some advice but all I can offer is a little sympathy towards your dilemma. How about a picture of the "Damm Thing" (ya right) so all of us guys with the little stuff can envy a little more.
            Cheers, Bob

Comment

LOL! Here you go Bob..

Comment

Size isn't everything. One tip, make sure you get a good sturdy vise.
                I'm jealous.
                Cheers, Bob

Comment

LOL! I got an almost new Kurt to go on it. Yup..size DOES matter... thing weighs about 6600 pounds and has a huge footprint... therefore the new addition.

Comment

Cool machine, nice! How big is the Kurt, does it have a swivel. Make sure you let us know when you start busting your gut to build the new space. If you can try for a Sunday, I'll make sure I send a few pics of the catch, for encouragement of course. Still jealous with envy.

Someday there will be a standoff between the technique and finesse of the little bridgeport against the brute size of the van norman, I'm sure all the female mating parts will be in favor of the former.

Cheers, Bob

Comment

Bob.. don't be too jealous.. these big buggers can be a huge pain in the butt to get setup, rewind or replace 550V motors etc. I'm a long ways from using this thing.
                      The Kurt is a 5" with no swivel. A swivel isn't really nessessary on this mill as it's a universal.
                      Oh ya... have fun fishin.. I'll be werkin..

Comment

Russ!! Wana PM me the name of your motel and phone number?? going to be riding by your way in the next week or so and would love to get a look at that brute!!!
                        Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

You got it Ernie..

Comment

Quote "A swivel isn't really nessessary on this mill as it's a universal"
                            There's a little salt.

Can you not get 3 phase? My drill press and Lathe are on it (600V) think the ratings for the lathe is 575 and drill press 550 but was told they would work fine at the delta 600 and do. Much more efficient way to run higher HP and smoother operation. Its like the difference between a 1 cylinder engine and 3 clyinder engine. For every rotation a 3 phase has 3 pushes of energy thats why a larger HP can run on less amps. Or so I've been told. And of course the benifits of running smaller wire and beaker size. That stuff's expensive especially when you get into the size of that mill.

Cheers, Bob

Comment

Bob.. no 3ph... I'm 3 miles away from the closest 3ph power. All single phase out here in the bush.

Comment

Working...
                              X