X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tinkerer
    • Oct 2004

Gas And Go! (ot)

Did you hear about the guy that pumped $68 worth of gas and just drove off?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

They caught him less then two block away as he ran out of GAS!!!

Well it's not that bad.... YET.... but it's getting there.
    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.
  • Bill Pace
    • Jul 2005

Then they got this stupid $75 limit on the credit cards!!!

There aint much you can fill up with $75!!

I'd maybe make it 4-5 blocks and run out!!
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

• Carld
      • Aug 2006

Maybe you should move to Jeffersontown Ky. There was an article in the paper today that told how anyone could get past the gate and use any entry numbers into the keypad and get as much gas as they want.

I bet it won't be that easy monday morning if the right people read the article and visit the city garage yard tonight.

The mayor said it's probably just an oversight that so much gas can't be accounted for and who used it.

I'd guess it went out in a lot of 55 gal. barrels in the back of pickup trucks of city workers.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

• Quetico Bob
        • Apr 2008

These are circulating in my neck of the woods, wish I could get my hands on a few more.
        Cheers, Bob

Comment

• CCWKen
          • Jan 2003

Here's the coupons we use down here to buy a gallon of gas. Or dang close to it. I'm kinda glad we've been short on rain this year. It's getting bad when it takes a $20 bill to fill up the lawn mower.

Comment

• Bond
            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Bill Pace
            Then they got this stupid $75 limit on the credit cards!!!

There aint much you can fill up with $75!!

I'd maybe make it 4-5 blocks and run out!!
            Not all cards mine will go over $100.Have you called and asked for an increase
            Bond

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

OT-Gas and Gaiters

Surely, Bond, it is not what the credit card will stand but what - you or your bank manager will stand at the end of the accounting period.

It doesn't matter a bit of Chinese sh1t what currency you pay in, it'd the RED amount in the account that determines how far round the block you can drive.

Norm

Comment

• bhjones
                • Jan 2006

I read a story a few days ago about a fella that was busted at the pump because he was taking so long to fill up. Cops claimed to have found an 800 gal. tank fab'd up and welded into the bed of his truck.

I question the tank capacity in the story (gas == +|- 6lbs per gal x 800 gals = 4800lbs. quite a load even for a 1 ton trying to blend into the crowd), but surely the M.O. would have been a fill up 60-80 gallons and drive off without paying. Hit a bunch of stations around the city, top off the big tank then go sell gas out of the truck at 2/3 price. The police were very impressed with the craftsmanship and suspected this was a professional criminal operation.

I wonder if we'll hear stories of fuel trucks being hijacked.
                Brett Jones...

Comment

• Swarf&Sparks
                  • Oct 2004

Nuff said
                  Just got my head together
                  now my body's falling apart

Comment

• oldtiffie
                    • Nov 1999

Get the XXXX out!!!

Good idea Lin.

It's like Holy Water as evidenced by the following pic.

(For those that don't know, "4X" or "XXXX" beer is said by by Queenslanders here in OZ to be the very best - others will tell you that the "XXXX" is quite apt - but it is the name of the beer!).

We don't take ourselves too seriously here - some do of course - but more fool them!!

Comment

• oldtiffie
                      • Nov 1999

Drive-aways

We had a problem here with "drive-away" gas station robberies where people would fill their cars with gas and just drive off - in a hurry.

Security/monitor cameras were no use as thieves had previously stolen number/registration plates from other cars - the owners of which were just about as pee-ed off as the servo station owners - and the cops.

One stolen plate here was from an old tractor that was in bits!!

Servos had a plan for pre-payment during specified hours etc.

I haven't heard as much about it lately as I suspect that the Police might have "solved" it in their own way.

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

All Gas and Gaiters

There cannot be too many of us who can lay claim to actually living in a Mental Institution that had and still has a ward exclusively set aside for those who drink Newcastle Brown Ale.

Actually I live in the grounds in the farm wich provided food for the inmates.
                        The transition between being inside and outside is only a short walk.
                        Yes, Matron, coming!
                        Norm

Comment

• wierdscience
                          • Jan 2003

Stations refusing credit cards because of transfer fees-

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• oldtiffie
                            • Nov 1999

Cutting a deal with the cards

I have no problem with people using credit or any other type of card/s. That is something they choose to do and they are charged for it - as are those who pay cash who are in effect at least partially subsidising those who use a card. In reality the traders pass on any bank charges - as they should.

Convenience is just another commodity - like gas - that needs to be paid for. And that includes electronic banking - internet and all.

The costs associated with electronic banking are miniscule compared to the actual costs and inconvenience of the alternatives!!! It is a great convenience and great value for money.

I can recall all too vividly what it was like before electronic banking came out - and it cost heaps!!!

How/why?

Everything is paid by cash. I withdraw cash from the ATM as required and replenish as required.

My wife and I each have had just the one card since they came out - years ago - VISA.

My wife has never used hers - not even at an ATM.

I only use mine to pay for stuff on the net or for items that I have on "auto-deduct" - nothing else. I have never had to pay a bank charge for later payment or over-drawn funds. We have a cheque book - but 50 cheques would last us 3 years - easy. I pay for all of my machines by cash. There have been very few occasions where I have used the card but only by using Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) where my account is debited right there and then and the traders account is credited with the amount over-night.

I've been appalled at some people who have a fistful of cards and are struggling to squeeze money/credit/cash out of and/or between them at the check-outs. They are almost like "Tarot" cards - perhaps they are!!! Cards that "don't work" are a PITA when they hold everybody else up. The "cash only" check-outs are several times faster - at least.

Any account we get is paid within 48 hours - maximum - as both my wife and I absolutely detest owing money and/or having what is really some-one else's money in our account. We will not have anyone else taking a chance on us or "carrying" us.

Needless to say, we have no problems with getting good service and prices from the Traders we deal with.

Electronic banking and paying by cash?

Its a gas.

Comment

• kendall
                              • Sep 2006

I could never see using a credit card so much. A coworker at a previous job essentially lived on his credit cards. Could never understand his reasoning.

regarding the 800 gallon fuel tank, a few years ago there was a group of similar criminals going around. People owned a gas station, and were duplicating credit cards of their customers, then used the cards to purchase fuel at other stations in cars and trucks with huge tanks on them, then pumping the fuel back into their own underground tanks and reselling it.
                              It was never published (or may have missed it) how much they actually stole, but it was mentioned that they were busted after 6 or 8 months of investigation.

Ken.

Comment

Working...
                              X