Mounting an Air Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting an Air Compressor

i did a search here on air compressor mounting and didn't find much. i just picked up a 60gal upright compressor and was wondering if it absolutely needs to be bolted to the floor, or if some hockey puck feet will be good enough? in the paperwork, it says specifically that it shouldn't be mounted on the pallet it came on. its going in a single car garage in a townhouse, so i would prefer not to drill the floor if i can get away with it.

any suggestions or pictures??

I mounted a 5hp horizonal with plywood feet and silicone gasket glue.

I just cut some pieces of scrap 3/4 ply 4x4" square,doubled(glued) them up and bolted them to the feet using countersunk carrage bolts sunk in from the bottom.

I blocked the compressor up an inch or so,cleaned the floor with acetone,once it dried I put a liberal amount of red RTV on the bottoms of the pads and removed the blocks.Next day it was nice and cured.

That ran for 6 or 7 years until it was time to move the compressor.I ran a piece of music wire under each foot to cut it loose and then cleaned the residue off the floor with a scraper and some gasoline on a rag.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My 7hp 80gal compressor has been running every day for twenty years sitting on the pallet it came on. Now ya got me worried.

thnx, jack vines

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8
        My 7hp 80gal compressor has been running every day for twenty years sitting on the pallet it came on. Now ya got me worried.

thnx, jack vines
        Dang, Jack, we BOTH may be in trouble MY 80 gallon is still on its shipping pallet too!! -- some 20+ years outside the shop tucked under the eaves on a little "Quik-Krete" slab I cobbled together real quick the afternoon I got it. Slid (or it slid me!) that heavy %$#@ thing (by myself!) off the back of the P/U, and its been there since.

Nah! think I'll just leave it......
        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

I seen the title of the thread and had to investigate, was going to tell you to keep it clean here and direct you to a site dedicated to intimacy with inanimate objects (not that iv ever been there - i just know about it from a friend of a friend) ----- But I can see now that everything is in order, By all means carry on and sorry for the interruption.

Comment

thanks guys, maybe i will leave it on the pallet for now, cause im not sure of its final spot in the garage...

and A.K., that puts a wonderful image into my head right before i go to bed!!!

Comment

Sorry for the drift in topic, but Bill should be the man to ask about dealing with condensing water in the air system since he's from a humid area.

How do you deal with it Bill?

Originally posted by Bill Pace
              Dang, Jack, we BOTH may be in trouble MY 80 gallon is still on its shipping pallet too!! -- some 20+ years outside the shop tucked under the eaves on a little "Quik-Krete" slab I cobbled together real quick the afternoon I got it. Slid (or it slid me!) that heavy %$#@ thing (by myself!) off the back of the P/U, and its been there since.

Nah! think I'll just leave it......
              Brett Jones...

Comment

Brett, surprisinly, I so rarely have condensation that I dont even think about it! And I have no idea why. On a rare occasion I'll pull the trigger on a blow gun, or the trigger on the blast cabinet and it'll be like turning on a water hose, can hold trigger down for a few mins and it'll usually clear out, and very rarely may have to go bleed a gallon or two out of the tank! And yes, it IS humid here....
                If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Phew!!!

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                  I seen the title of the thread and had to investigate, was going to tell you to keep it clean here and direct you to a site dedicated to intimacy with inanimate objects (not that iv ever been there - i just know about it from a friend of a friend) ----- But I can see now that everything is in order, By all means carry on and sorry for the interruption.
                  Phew - thanks Boomer.

I was going to refer this thread (or the OP anyway) to you as the acknowledged Subject Matter Expert (SME) on all things related to mounting.

My mind boggled when I read it. There is a dog up the road from here who is very well qualified and very successful and in great demand - but he is far too busy to talk to me. His owner is doing pretty well to - as I've ben lead to believe.

I hope that mounting that compressor is not confused with "aerobics" - as that is for the Gym - although I got a strange response when I suggested what "Body Pumping" (the latest fad there) was although many seemed more interested in my version of what is was. Enrollments were set to soar when it (and I) was "canned".

I daresay that the method/activities you imagined would result in the best "blow job" you've had in quite while.

You'd be pumped!!

Comment

You would think the air compressor folks would make the tank self bleeding of water like the new semi trucks have. Rig it up to fart off water from the bottom of the tank once per recharge cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8

thnx, jack vines
                      Yup... me too! My 60 gallon upright is 8 years now on the pallet it came on.
                      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I think that the only real issue is that the vibration from the compressor does not cause it to "walk" around and maybe fall over if it encounters an uneven floor. If you screwed it to a piece of plywood and then used some angle brackets or something similar to screw it to a wall stud it should stay put for sure. Leaving it on the pallet and securing the pallet against a wall would probably be just as effective.

Some glue under the hockey-puck feet would probably work pretty well, but a safety wire or chain on the top of the compressor to the wall would not be a bad idea in my mind.

I think the "don't use the pallet and bolt it to the floor" comes from lawyer-land where they want to be extra-sure it cannot fall over and kill you or your cat or something.

I just got a 25 gal upright dual stage unit that is about 4 feet high. Since I have a pretty high ceiling in my garage (about 12 feet) it fit on a big shelf I have over my workbench and just freed up some floor space for me (yahoo).

I mounted it on rubber vibration mounts. It still vibrates the wall and the shelf a bit, but seems OK to me. I did put in an extra wire around the top of it it to a large screw into a wall stud as a bit of an extra safety.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                          My mind boggled when I read it.

I have a very visual imagination, I read it and then within a split second was immediately hit with an image of a slightly older than middle age fella who's starting to gray, he was wearing that shop blue polyester blend shirt and pant, all of his notes for the day and cheap pens along with one of those little steel rulers (with the pocket clips that never seem to hold on to anything) were jossleing around in his top shirt pocket and one by one falling onto the ground,
                          She was an extra large but classy old girl, a rare 80 gal. 5hp V-twin single stage 3 legged horizontal with the motor and comp. at the end with the two legs, she was always level - but still a little prone to tipping, one of the air cleaners was removed exposing an oily looking orifice -------- thats when I caught myself - still maybe it went on too long and I shouldnt have even shared this?

Comment

I'm in Maine and the RH is pretty high but the temps are moderate. I have yet to run air line throughout the shop and maybe that'll help, but I have issues with water collecting in the tank and the rubber lines. I was thinking of putting an old fridge in my shop and running a coil of copper tubing through the thing to dry out the air before it hits the storage tank.

Originally posted by Bill Pace
                            Brett, surprisinly, I so rarely have condensation that I dont even think about it! And I have no idea why. On a rare occasion I'll pull the trigger on a blow gun, or the trigger on the blast cabinet and it'll be like turning on a water hose, can hold trigger down for a few mins and it'll usually clear out, and very rarely may have to go bleed a gallon or two out of the tank! And yes, it IS humid here....
                            Brett Jones...

Comment

Ya, that's pretty visual A.K. 80 gal no less. Can you imagine the endurance required let alone the frustration of having to dismount he unit just to run around and give her a peck on the head. What a picture you've painted. Don't think i'll ever be able to look at my horizontal in the same way again.
                              Cheers, Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X