OT Propane Gas Tanks - SAFETY ALERT -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Propane Gas Tanks - SAFETY ALERT -

This did not seem like a hoax but check it out for yourself. If true be careful, if false no harm no foul.

Subject: Summer Safety Alert

Methamphetamine cooks are buying propane tanks from the exchanges at
    Wal-Mart, Kroger, and emptying them of the propane gas. Then they fill the
    propane tanks with anhydrous ammonia, which they now have a recipe to cook
    Methamphetamine. After they are finished with the propane tanks, they
    return them to the store. The stores refill the tanks with propane gas,
    unknowing to them the improper substance that was inserted in the tanks and
    sell them to their consumers. Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and
    weakens the structure of the tank. It can be very dangerous when mixed with
    propane gas and hooked up to a grill, recreation vehicle, etc.

You should inspect the propane tank for any blue or greenish residue around
    the valve areas. If there are evidences of these substances, do not
    purchase the propane tank and advise the vendor of your findings.

The information was researched, and you should check out the following
    website for more details. They also have pictures for you to view.

http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=529

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2032840/posts

http://bbq.about.com/b/2008/06/19/sa...-cylinders.htm

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/methtank.asp
    Spirit
    of mid Michigan
    If you have no "spirit" what is their?

For the reasons that Snopes mentions I find it highly unlikely that the return and exchange of these tanks is actually taking place. The structure of the tank is not weakened but the valve is corroded in a very obvious manner. I certainly wouldn't take a tank with this clearly visible problem.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Not here

I don't and won't have that problem as I never use a "Swap and Take" service or any of its variations. I have mine re-filled while I wait. I have my name marked/painted on all my LPG bottles.

I buy them new out-right and ensure that they are "in test" (10 years certification). As soon as they get to 10 years (and require an un-economic "re-test") I vent them, remove the valves and ditch them and take the bottle/s to the Municipal receiving station for them - and buy a new bottle. I have two 9KG (20 pound) bottles plus two smaller ones.

The Regulators here are very tough and receive regular advice from other Regulators all over the world. I have seen no notice or mention of the notices in the OP here in OZ so far.

Comment

Good point Tiffer -- me two, Geeze -- if it does happen once in awhile what are the effects of that anhydrous ammonia crap on a steak and then eating it

Evan --- that photo says state police on it so is it because it is going on and they are trying to use the photo to tell people what to watch out for?

I hate meth --- im so sick of hearing about all its ill effects, Get it together or get off the planet, jackasses.
        Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 06-24-2008, 10:37 AM.

Comment

The tank photo is to show retailers what to look for.

Comment

I own both of my 20 pound tanks...Have my name & phone number on them and always take them to the same gas company for refill. Never felt like taking any chances with this.

Comment

This is not limited to propane tanks. This has happened locally with larger gas cylinders. Some have had to been scrapped because of it.

Comment

Macona beat me too it, A good friend of mine was a producer of meth many years ago and he used to transport the chemicals in stolen oxy/acy tanks. Never asked him what they did with the tanks when they were done.

Comment

Meth heads need shot in the stupid head so they die, we dont need them.

I had a so called friend rip me off for thousands of dollars, if I ever see him again I will remove his balls with a soldering iron and pull his teeth with vice grips and send them to his mama. He will beg to die..

no kidding at all.

Comment

I can't remember any of the drugs of the 70s that made people die as quick as Meth...

Pretty bad stuff.. THE meth dealer that did live next door, looked like he had broom sticks for legs last time I saw him. HIS dogs, two beautiful grey colored pitts.. ribs showing.. made me want to hurt him really bad.. I cared little for him. My heart cried for his dogs...
                    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                      I can't remember any of the drugs of the 70s that made people die as quick as Meth...

Pretty bad stuff.. THE meth dealer that did live next door, looked like he had broom sticks for legs last time I saw him. HIS dogs, two beautiful grey colored pitts.. ribs showing.. made me want to hurt him really bad.. I cared little for him. My heart cried for his dogs...
                      Im with you dave, I like animals more than most peice of crap people. I see barking dogs all hot in cars at the shopping centers and I want to bust the windows from the car and save the animals but I would get in trouble.

I want to feed thier dogs ice cream and lock the owners in the car for 2 hours so they understand.

Comment

How it is in OZ

Originally posted by macona
                        This is not limited to propane tanks. This has happened locally with larger gas cylinders. Some have had to been scrapped because of it.
                        That's interesting macona.

I seem to recall having read (here?) that you can own them and get them re-filled at the "Filler" of your choice in the US and perhaps not have to worry about re-testing.

Here in OZ, legislation requires that the Gas manufacturer (British Oxygen Corp - aka BOC and one or two others) must own, test and refill all their gas product bottles (including larger LPG. medical and industrial gases etc) and rent them to approved renters (such as me).

I own my 20 pound and under LPG tanks, but anything larger is owned, filled and maintained by "the Company" who has approved licenced "fillers".

I rent my oxy/acet and MIG bottles and pay annual rent and for a refill when I require it. The re-filled bottle/s are on an exchange basis and are QC-ed by the owning company.

It works very well for me as my suppliers agents (several) are within 10 minute drive (2), 30 minutes (quite a few) and an hour (lots) - so I have no problem. I have a "Trade" account and can pay on the spot (cash or card) or put it on my account. Cost, like everywhere keeps going up but seems better than or comparable to other countries.

The end result is that I think my chances of getting a bottle pre-used by "others" ("meths" brewers etc.) are pretty slim and better than some other places. I damn sure would not want my oxy, acet, MIG gas, or LPG bottles to leak or burst or cause an explosion here.

Comment

Just to clear things up ...

Anhydrous ammonia is not caustic and can be safely stored in any metal container capable of withstanding an internal pressure of 250 psi.

As Evan says, it will not bother the interior of the tank. Anhydrous ammonia is not corrosive, but it does become highly caustic when it absorbs water. In its ANhydrous state, it has no effect on metal.

Comment

If meth were free, and it probably should be, it would not be anywhere near the problem it is. All the users would be dead. As it is, they're now stealing gasoline from vehicles by drilling the tanks. Not enough to be out $100 in gas, you also have to replace the tank and refill it, hoping all the while they don't come back. A dead meth head is the happiest corpse on the planet and they aren't hurting anyone. Win win.

Comment

Pretty harsh words guys. It isn't the users that need to be dealt with, it's the people who make it and distribute it. Methamphetamine Hydrochloride was invented by the Germans during WWII. It was used to keep their pilots awake. It is still used by the US Air Force to keep their pilots awake. They call them "go pills". After a mission they take "no go" pills so they can sleep. It's a tranquilizer, probably Thorazine.

Meth is not physically addictive in that the user does not develop a physical dependence in the way a heroin addict does. When it wears off and you get over the crash then there isn't the several weeks of feeling all sorts of nasty side effects that you get when you suddenly stop using heroin or alcohol.

However, meth is one of the most psychologically addictive drugs known. It causes the brain to pour out dopamine which is intensely satisfying and pleasurable. It can make you feel like a god. Suddenly everything is crystal clear and you can understand things nobody else can. You think at ten times the rate that ordinary people do and are tens times smarter too. Hunger disappears and so does pain, you feel great.

Then it starts to wear off. You need more and the more you use it the more you must use. After a fairly long run of using it depletes the brain's ability to generate dopamine. This can be a permanent state if it is used long enough and you survive all the crap and corruption that goes with the habit. Once that state is reached the world is always gray and black and psychosis sets in. It's a form of induced schizophrenia combined with a strong possibility of Parkinson's disease if enough damage has been done to the Substantia Nigra in the brain. At that point there is no treatment or hope for a cure. Nothing can make it better.

The people responsible are professional criminals who are in it for the money, and only the money. They don't use and those that start normally end up dead from lead poisoning. There are amateurs that cook up meth in their basement etc but for the most part it is made in large quantities by well known groups of career criminals.

I do wonder how many of the pilots aren't able to kick the habit after a tour of duty.

Comment

Working...
                              X