OT: 'Princess Auto'???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: 'Princess Auto'???

So you lucky guys up in Canada have this wonderland, it seems, known as Princess Auto. I hear of great deals involving stepper motors and many other goodies, and frankly I'm jealous

Do any of you Americans know of any chains around here with this type of surplus equipment? Frankly I don't really know where to look and it might be sitting right under my nose. The only surplus I can find around here is military uniforms
    You never learn anything by doing it right.

Two of the best places in the US for surplus stuff that I have found are:

http://www.goldmine-elec.com/

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

That should get you started but be careful, they each have lots (and lots) of neat and interesting stuff and it is far too easy to get carried away!

cheers, Graham in Ottawa, Canada

Comment

Surplus Center is a very fun place to visit, and costly because stuff is so cheap one gets carried away.

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamC
        Two of the best places in the US for surplus stuff that I have found are:

http://www.goldmine-elec.com/

http://www.surpluscenter.com/

That should get you started but be careful, they each have lots (and lots) of neat and interesting stuff and it is far too easy to get carried away!

cheers, Graham in Ottawa, Canada
        I am looking for a small elecrtical part that goes in a frog that sits by my front gate and makes the frog croak. I need a sensor that makes it croak when people walk by.

what the hell do you call that darn thing? its a tiny poximity sensor but I have yet to find one..

Comment

There is not much surplus things at Princess Auto anymore, mostly new Chinese stuff which you only get what you pay for. I like the Surplus Center and buy a few things there, but don't think of sending them an email, I don't think they know how to read. Every email sent is completely ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by studentjim
            There is not much surplus things at Princess Auto anymore, mostly new Chinese stuff which you only get what you pay for. I like the Surplus Center and buy a few things there, but don't think of sending them an email, I don't think they know how to read. Every email sent is completely ignored.

LOL oh lordy, same with places in the states, you call and its "press one for english" or "press two for spanish" thats all ,press one and two all day and thats as far as you get for a very long time.

its crazy..

Comment

what the hell do you call that darn thing? its a tiny poximity sensor but I have yet to find one..
              Usually just a photocell. A single solar cell will work fine, or a photo transistor, a photodiode or even any diode in a glass envelope. It just senses a fast change in the lighting, not even a shadow is required.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by studentjim
                I find that to be the case with 80% of the company websites I visit,"contact" is always an option I the header buttons,but I don't think they mean it.

I had one company in Ohio that ignored online orders!Must be nice to not need business huh?
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I buy stuff from these folks from time to time,good prices and excellent service.

http://www.youngssurplus.com/
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

axman

this place is in minneapolis, been there a dozen times, love the joint.
                    www.ax-man.com/
                    seems they are in to almost everything. . .

www.ax-man.com/

Comment

Look what's in the latest Princess Auto flyer. I want one.

Comment

Tattomike, are you thinking of the PIR sensors on burglar alarms?
                        Just had a quick scan and goldmine do them aswell
                        Regards Ian.
                        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Princess Auto seems to be trying to become the Harbor Freight of Canada, except their price's are 3 x as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                            Look what's in the latest Princess Auto flyer. I want one.

Junk.........take a look at one, could be kindergarten WW projects from China.

If you saw one at a garage sale for $5, you'd keep on going.

Mostly HF type stuff because that is where the $$$ is. Not much demand for over produced parking light assy's, partial steering wheels or odd wiring harnesses, etc, from the BIG THREE car makers.

But, still some good deals if you keep watching.......eventually everthing goes on sale, just a matter of time.

Comment

Chester,

Have you actually seen that unit or are you speaking in general terms? Not everything they have is junk, not even close. I was considering going on a shopping trip to Prince George on Saturday to pick one up among other things. If the one they have on sale in that ad is junk in your opinion then I won't bother. It's a 300 mile round trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X