POMS to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POMS to Canada

Not quite like the £10 Poms to Australia back in the 50's, but apparantly the province of Alberta is on a huge recruitment drive over here in the UK to try and get skilled labour to emigrate.

All over breakfast TV this morning apparently, and quite a few newspapers too. Telegraph story here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-emigrate.html

So Evan, Russ, and others may be getting a Brit invasion soon
    Don't know if we could put up with your rather cold winters though.

Peter

We have plenty of Scots here including my wife's mother's side. Don't know about Englishmen though. You can always tell an expatriot Scot because they never lose their accent. I wouldn't worry about the winters too much, it's warming up these days...
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Montcalm and Wolfe?

I'll gladly trade you the 2° to kill the bark beetles. I'm freezing here at 5°!
      I came from 62 N to 32 S to get away from the bloody cold, but it's followed me.
      Just got my head together
      now my body's falling apart

Comment

Yes it was recently in the news, seems if you have relations here you can apply to have them come over and bypass the majority of immigration red tape for a 2 year stint, at least thats the jist I came up with off a 20 sec news blurb........It actually is a little slow momentarily as we are in a little gap between projects (lots of foundation work taking place at the moment) before it starts up again. Wages are good and probably average~ $35hr for most trades but the cost of living has rocketed over the last 5 yrs as well.

I think their target immigrants are poorer developed countries hoping to lure people into the service industry and other unskilled jobs.......When I started working as a kid I had the pleasure to work with some european WW2 and post fellas, most I would term craftsmen over tradesman, would be nice to attract more.........smile.
        Last edited by hardtail; 07-02-2008, 01:28 PM.
        Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Looks like a good time to buy property in Hinton while it's still affordable. Once those folks discover the glacier highway between Jasper and Banff they'll never go back home.

Comment

There's a Banff in Canada too?

Comment

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
              There's a Banff in Canada too?
              Sure - here's some pix I took while riding my Harley from Seattle to Jasper and on to Sturgis.

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/gallery/rtts2000

Comment

I was takin the p1ss, DP
                are you aware the original is in Scotland?

Comment

I was takin the p1ss, DP
                  are you aware the original is in Scotland?
                  Of course - The Canadians have drawn deep from the well of the Scots for naming places (Calgary and Nova Scotia, 'frinstance). I just liked the excuse to see those pix of my HD in the Canadian Rockies again. That is one spectacular road.

Comment

That is some spectacular country!
                    I'd love to see it but the cold would kill me

Comment

That is some spectacular country!
                      I'd love to see it but the cold would kill me
                      So go in the summer. We did the big loop from Winnepeg out through that bit of country
                      back in the 60s somewhere, It's sure pretty, Jasper, Banff, Yoho, Also did the Alaska
                      highway when sister-inlaw lived up there. That was even longer ago.
                      ...lew...

Comment

Thanks Lew, but when the minimum here gets down to 20° I'm freezing.
                        And I might hafta eat Thrud's sister's meatloaf!

Anyone heard from the big guy lately?

Comment

What is a POM and why does it cost (or did cost) 10pounds? I only speak A,mericun type English. I know what a POS stands for or PITA, but not POM.

Comment

Pom, dunno, what's worse, dunno why they're called pommie bastards.

Only call em pommy bastards if ya like em.
                            Then there's the jocks, paddies, taffs.....
                            Was a time, if the engineer's name wasn't Mc xxx
                            you didn't sail

Whether across the Atlantic by steam, or over the top to Hamburg, Murmansk.....

Comment

"Was a time, if the engineer's name wasn't Mc xxx you didn't sail"

Interesting, wonder if that is why the "Enterprise" on Star-Trek had "Scotty" for the ship's engineer (even though his character name was Montgomery Scott).

Comment

Working...
                              X