A computer question???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A computer question???

Hey guys! This is an odd one maybe but it concerns an old friend of ours.
    She moved into an old age care facility. she's still very sharp but it makes me wonder.
    They have a library there and she uses the computers there to correspond with old friends etc.
    There's 10 computers there all setup around a long desk.
    She claims there's a "creepy" guy who is the librarian. The reason she says this is that he has let slip a couple of things that he shouldn't have known.
    Things that where said between her and some email friends.
    Now she's all freaked out that this "creepy" guy can look at what she's got up on her computer.
    He sits at the main desk with a computer and she's worried that all the stuff on everyones computers can be viewed by this guy.
    I have no idea so I told her i'd ask you guys if it was possible for this to happen,
    Or is this just an old lady who is paranoid in her new digs?
    She's lived alone for some time now and is maybe losing it a bit.. I don't know.
    So, do you think it's possible that this guy can "evesdrop" on the old folks emails etc? I'm thinking some kind of parental type control or something?
    Doesn't sound right to me but i guess they may have to do something like that with some of the old folks losing it or whatever.
    What do you think?
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Yeah it's "possible" Russ, but I can't imagine any responsible business allowing it to happen that easily.
    Is it not another possibility that the said "creep" could have just been looking over her shoulder?
    Just got my head together
    now my body's falling apart

Comment

Lin.. that's what freaks her out. The guy always takes her to the same computer in the back corner. Nobody can stand behind her she says so it concerns her that he knew something she'd written.
      Who knows with all the weirdo crap out there today.
      LOL! Or maybe she forgot to sign out or who knows???
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by torker
        So, do you think it's possible that this guy can "evesdrop" on the old folks emails etc? I'm thinking some kind of parental type control or something?
        Unfortunately, yes.

I'm guessing she's doing web-based email, and not using Outlook? If she leaves herself logged-in to the webmail site, the creepy guy can re-open her session and read her email.

There should be a "log off and clear session" menu option on the webmail client. Make sure she logs off when she's finished with her email.

The other issue is that her web pages with the email on it are cached in the Internet Explorer cache. On the top menu bar on Internet Explorer, click:

Tools->Delete Browsing History

That will clear her Explorer session.

Sounds like the like the better solution would be to fire the creepy guy, or beat some sense into him.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

yeah, know whatcha mean Russ.
          Freaks me out and there's only 2 people in this house that use this computer!

Sick of the AVG/Spybot/cleanup/etc, etc.... routine.

Comment

get her a usb drive and load portable firefox on there
            http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

it doesnt leave any info on the host machine
            1. Privacy: Does Firefox Portable leave behind any personal data?

A. No. Firefox Portable has its disk cache disabled. It uses RAM for cache. All your cookies and other data is self-contained on your portable device. At no time is any personal data stored on the local machine, so even if someone tried to find it with an undelete utility, there would be nothing for them to find.

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
              get her a usb drive and load portable firefox on there
              http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
              It's an old lady at a retirement home -- I don't think you're going to get her to carry personal FireFox around on a USB keychain
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Yeah I know but all you have to do is plug it in. I didnt think that was to complicated. I dont know maybe the "beat some sense into him" is the only option

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
                  I dont know maybe the "beat some sense into him" is the only option
                  Reminds me of the creepy retirement home nurse played by Ben Stiller in "Happy Gilmore." "Come on Grandma, knit faster!"

Sometimes the low tech solutions are more effective

Comment

Can't see why not Rob.
                    If she got enough marbles left to play gate's game, I'm sure she could plug in a flash drive and decline to play, especially if configured by someone cognisant with that particular sorta problem

Coupla you guys made a good point. I'm just not used to using public computers or webmail.

Comment

And just in case, there's always sandboxie

Comment

lmao, hey Russ does he have a handlebar mustache?

Comment

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
                          Can't see why not Rob.
                          If she got enough marbles left to play gate's game, I'm sure she could plug in a flash drive and decline to play
                          My Grandmother, bless her heart, passed away several years ago at the ripe old age of 97. I couldn't teach her to use the TV remote, let alone a USB thumbdrive

Then again, if Russ' Lady is doing email, she's lightyears ahead of my Grandma

Comment

Hehehe, she could probably still drive a mule team though

Comment

given todays techknolwedgey if you dont turn off remote access in windows then any one can log on your system even if its off you can be hacked plus fire walls are a joke. so long as there is and open port in a fire wall and said system has a net connection hooked in and active you can surf but so can a hacker get it and there not stuiped like some peope think...

if you set up hotmail or yahoo etc to save your pasword and user name on a computer then anyone can log back in and access your account as well..

Comment

Working...
                              X