Reamers and Truing and Morse Tapers Oh My

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reamers and Truing and Morse Tapers Oh My

I am planning to make a MT2 slitting saw arbor for my mill. I have the 8 by 12 lathe, and am not too confident about how true my tailstock is. What do you think about cutting the taper myself (with no grinder!)?

It can be done but to save time, I keep a drawer full of cheap MT to JT adapters for just such purposes. The latest mod was to an MT3-JT4 for a headstock spring loaded center. It clears the inside my 4-jaw and speeds setup time on some irregular shaped objects I've been working on.

On another, I drilled the JT end, tapped for a bolt then turned a step for some saw blades I had. For slitters and cutters, you may have to add a sleeve to get the ID. Just turn the JT down straight and press-on a sleeve to match the ID.

There's all sorts of tools you can make out of the "adapters". I bought a bunch when Enco had them on sale last year. At around $3 and free shipping, I couldn't make them for that. Mine are all MT3 or I'd send ya one.

Forgot to mention:
    The only hard part of the adapters is the tang so you should be able to turn/drill the other parts as needed. For my center, I cut the tang off since I had to drill it through to relieve pressure from the plunge center.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 07-08-2008, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Possibly anneal the tang? WHY ARENT THEY HARD?

Comment

Actually, I am going to make a straight shank. Cutters are pretty small, and reduced shanks have some precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by ikrase
          I am planning to make a MT2 slitting saw arbor for my mill. I have the 8 by 12 lathe, and am not too confident about how true my tailstock is. What do you think about cutting the taper myself (with no grinder!)?
          peice of cake, is it done yet?

Comment

You don't need a grinder so long as you can blue it up and there are single-cut files in the world............

Go for it. Tapers are fairly easily cut via the compound, especially if you have a model taper in the lathe, such as the T/S for 2MT on many smaller lathes.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
            X