A box way Gilman slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A box way Gilman slide

Oh the god of all things metal must have been smiling down on me yesterday. I saw a local ad for this slide yesterday on Craigslist.

I very quickly contacted and purchased it from the seller! He knew what it was and what it was worth but just wanted it out of his garage. Nobody seemed to want it.

It is a genuine Gilman box way slide. 36" long with a 18" carriage. Hardened and ground ways, weighs in at 200lbs.
    Specs- http://www.skfpt.com/hrd-way-features.html

SKF acquired The Gilman company a few years back.
    From what I can tell it has never been used! Extremely smooth movement. I think it is accurate to .0005" over 3ft.
    How much did I pay?
    20$

I'm not sure what I'll do with it. It would make a fantastic z axis for a small cnc lathe build.
    Hmmm..
    Steve

2 more-

Coated gib-

Comment

It would make a nice CNC lathe as well. Good find!

Comment

Looks very nice.....

It often amuses me when manufacturers go to great lengths to make an accurate device and then an employee comes along and can't stamp the serial/model numbers straight...
        Precision takes time.

Comment

Well I sure wish this deal had come along when I got it in my head to build my cnc bench lathe. Very rigid, only needs 5in/lbs to move, much superior damping and still capable of speeds well over 300IPM.
          At 200lbs it is already 50lbs heavier than the entire lathe I built-

Heck it's just shy a few lbs of a complete Import 9x20 . I would say it's a lot stiffer and heavier than my 40" SB9 lathe bed stripped.

This could be an impressive home brew starting with this slide as a foundation.

I'm very seriously considering a brand new cnc lathe/mill build. I learned a lot on the first one and most of what I learned was what NOT to do.
          I certainly do not need 2 small cnc lathes so the original would be used to build v2.
          I could use the z-axis off the smaller cnc lathe I built as a milling attachment. I have another spare Mini mill head I could mount it to.

Or I could just cover the Gilman slide and put it in a dark corner and forget all about it,lol
          Steve

Comment

That was the first thing I thought of Steve -- that would make a fantastic bed for a CNC lathe.

It's beautifully made too.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Me I would use it to make a tool and cutter grinder. Turn bed up side down the rest I already have . I will give you $40.00 for it double your money back. Good investment .
              Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
              http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
              http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Steve: slant bed CNC lathe with 16C collet spindle!

BW
                ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

That thing is junk! Didn't you notice all the Craigslist flaking on it?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Steve, I see you've met Igor? He had that tied to his Bridgeport on my last trip to see him. A buddy and I p/u a few of the used Toshiba VFD's he had for sale as well as a few other items. You guys are pretty close to each other, practically neighbors. I'm at 79th and Harlem Ave. Nice catch. A great guy to deal with in my book.
                    Last edited by ProGunOne; 07-13-2008, 10:21 PM.
                    "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                      That thing is junk! Didn't you notice all the Craigslist flaking on it?
                      Not only that but it looks like someone gouged lightning bolts in it too! .
                      Steve

Comment

Put it in a dark corner of the shop and forget all about it.

Whats your address, btw?

I'm looking forward to seeing what you build from it.

Comment

ProGunOne,
                          Yes I met Igor. Very nice guy. He was unloading a 3hp Clausing lathe I when I got there.
                          I think he said the slide came from a factory or something. The carriage has a machined out portion on the top and a bolt on straightedge type deal not shown in the pics. One of the ends is blued and still has the scribe marks where it was drilled and tapped. It was obviously meant for something but I am pretty darn sure it was never used a day in it's life.
                          I'll have to cut the carriage down if I decide it will become a lathe.
                          I'm going to take my time and try and come up with a good design this time, unlike when I built the smaller lathe on the fly.
                          Steve

Comment

Yes he is, very smart guy. He rebuilt the Mil-Surp trailer that he used to move the lathe. I've been keeping track of his cleaning up process of the Clausing on his web site. I looked that slide over several times and decided to get current projects completed before taking on another. I knew it wouldn't last long when I seen the CL ad.
                            "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

Originally posted by ProGunOne
                              I've been keeping track of his cleaning up process of the Clausing on his web site.
                              What's his website?
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X