Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bmyers
    replied
    Would a thread dial from an Atlas lathe work ? I see they are more available and affordable on ebay

Leave a comment:

• panchula
    replied
    Jr Threading Dial

The 9" SB Junior that I started with had a 16 tooth gear on the thread dial. The 9" Junior has much more in common with a SB 10L (heavy 10) than the more common 9" Workshop lathe.
    Change gears are 16DP rather the the 18DP on the Workshop series.

-Mike

Leave a comment:

• garyphansen
    replied
    Go over to the PM site, look under the South Bend section for a thread "Thread Dial Kits, Any interest?" In that thread you will find every thing you need to know to make you own thread dial. Gary P. Hansen

Leave a comment:

• Bmyers
    replied
    What pitch gear would I need for a home made thread dial ?

Leave a comment:

• Bmyers
    replied
    I have to make one, I spend all my money just to buy the lathe

Leave a comment:

• Mike Burdick
    replied
    Herm and Brent,

I emailed you the information...If you don't receive it please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

Leave a comment:

• dp
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Burdick
    bmyers,

If you want, I have an AutoCad drawing for a thread dial that uses the SB gear. I designed it for a different brand of lathe but the dimensions can be modified so it will fit on a SB.
    Mike
    Nice looking dial, Mike. What are the details behind the marking?

Leave a comment:

• recoilless
    replied
    B:

If you want to make one, more power to ya. However, Check w/ Joe B at Plazamachinery.com. He has loads of SB parts above/beyond what is listed on his website pdf.

Leave a comment:

• Bmyers
    replied
    Mike,
    email sent,
    thank you

Leave a comment:

• Herm Williams
    replied
    Mike
    I would appreciate a copy
    Thanks
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Mike Burdick
    replied
    bmyers,

If you want, I have an AutoCad drawing for a thread dial that uses the SB gear. I designed it for a different brand of lathe but the dimensions can be modified so it will fit on a SB. If you post or send me an email address I'll get it to you. It's in pdf format. I'll even show you how to make the markings very easily - no special tools either! It'll be a fun project for you. I'll also show you how to make the oil fitting at the top.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Here ya go... 32 teeth/3* "angle" on the teeth
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...threading+dial

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Any crummy gear that has 2x or 4x the teeth as the TPI of the screw, and the tooth spacing to fit. In your case, 16 or 32 teeth.

All it has to do is turn with the screw, no special precision needed, although it won't hurt any.

Leave a comment:

• Bmyers
    started a topic I wanna make a thread dial

I wanna make a thread dial

I picked up a nice 9" Junior South Bend today and it is lacking a thread dial. What gear is needed to ride on the lead screw to make my own dial ?
Working...
X