Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get keyed washer for wheel bearing nut??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get keyed washer for wheel bearing nut??

I had to replace the wheel bearings on the trailer I recently acquired. The washer between the inner race of the outer bearing and the adjustment nut doesn't have a prong to fit the keyway on the axle. Without it, the cotter pin will likely shear if something goes wrong with the bearings.

The washers on the trailer were so thick that I couldn't use the correct diameter cotter pin. I need to replace them anyway, so I'd like to get the correct style and thickness.

What's the correct terminology for this kind of washer? Where can I find them? They look sorta like this, but the internal tab needs to be a little bigger:

It's been a while since I worked on stuff like this, so maybe they have quit using them. Are they really necessary?

Roger
    Last edited by winchman; 07-21-2008, 07:38 PM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Sorry that I don't recall the proper name but they can be had at McMaster Carr.

Maybe keyed washers? Or tabbed washers.

Errol Groff
    Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
    http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

I couldn't find them in the McMaster-Carr online catalog. They have washers with internal notches and external tabs, but no internal tabs to fit in a keyway.

Roger
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

yes they should be keyed, a plain washer will spin and damage the cotter pin.
        you can get them at an auto parts store usually in a Dorman display
        jerry

Comment

I think any auto parts house should have them. They go by several names, the most used is: wheel bearing lock washer. DO a google search for wheel bearing washer. Lots of them listed.
          Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
          Oregon Coast

Comment

Yeah, MC doesn't carry them. I've looked before. They're Keyed Washers or Spindle Washers. What ID do you need? If you can't find them locally, Snyder's Antique Auto Parts has them. They're listed under the Model T front axle parts as part number T-2709 for $1.95 a pair. I think these are 7/8" ID but I'd have to run out the barn to verify. Let me know if you can't find them elsewhere and I'll check the size and thickness.

www.snydersantiqueauto.com

Comment

Flatwasher and a mig gun followed up by a file.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Spindle nut washer

Go to the nearest (or most favorite) GOOD auto parts store, Get the BIG Dorman book and look up "spindle nut washer" . Many styles and sizes.

Rob

Comment

Any shop that sells trailer spindle parts should have them.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

yep ... Dorman displays

Otherwise I like the mig welder and file suggestion.

Comment

Or you could use a CNC mill and cut a 350 degree arc in a fender washer I suppose a rotary table would also do.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Obtain an ordinary washer of the correct diameter & thickness, Cut a slot the same size as the keyway in the axle through the washer, weld a suitable piece of steel into the slot that will fit the keyway, finish with a grinder and file. A larger slot and piece of steel can be used, the tang then being cut to
                        size.
                        Welding a tang directly to a washer does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by R W
                          Obtain an ordinary washer of the correct diameter & thickness, Cut a slot the same size as the keyway in the axle through the washer, weld a suitable piece of steel into the slot that will fit the keyway, finish with a grinder and file. A larger slot and piece of steel can be used, the tang then being cut to
                          size.
                          Welding a tang directly to a washer does not work.

Got to ask this dumb question about now, if'n you weld the key into the keyway in the axle, how in the heck you ever gunna get that lot apart again and remove the bearings if you ever need to ?

Can only suppose that this is what is happening in the first place, possible reason for the original posting.

Comment

Originally posted by radish1us
                            Got to ask this dumb question about now, if'n you weld the key into the keyway in the axle,
                            The only welding is on the washer, nowhere did I mention welding to the axle or keyway.

Comment

OK, that cleared the fog away.

Comment

Working...
                              X