Gift for an old biker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift for an old biker

My wife is leaving today to go back to Alberta for her great uncle's birthday. He is getting on a bit in years. Originally from Glasgow he is an old biker. He and his brother, my wife's late grandfather, used to race Triumphs all over the British Isles before the war. He hasn't ridden a bike perhaps since he was 80 or so but his bike is still in perfect condition in the garage. That was 16 years ago.

I have engraved this subject before but this time I tried a special effect that turned out rather well. It's engraved on a steel plate 1/8" thick that has been carefully flame treated to produce colors.

I should mention the scale, the plate is about 8" x 6"
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Neato..

Naeato...

I just ordered a pair of cast iron motorcycle toys for a biker bud in California. ONE of them works in a med manufacturing plant and has been sending me $1200 of my medicienes without charge through the company. I had to get him something to let him know I appreciate it. I can't afford to build him a motorcycle, so a couple cast iron toys is it..

Old biker guys don't give up the hobby, they just become too buggered up to ride all the time. You should hear the noises my knees make.

Someday, they'll have that WII game worked out so it has bike handlebars and a 3d helmet.. set a fan up in front of it, on a treadmill with broken glass glued to it if you drop it????

I've looked for gaming to become more realistic.. a suit and helmet? like the real-motion shakers in the playstation mounted on the suit to shake parts of your body.. I'd love to have a martial arts suit myself.. not get beat up, just get to work out.. Last time I went by the gym, I got tortured by several people trying to get me to start back.. AND TAU- CHI.. yeah.. it could be taught properly by a machine..
    I'll be a game addict on them days.. I loved the combat simulator, till I got bored finally.. I always wanted to build myself a real simulator with multiple screens and ....

IF I LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO GET INTO A NURSING HOME???? just set the 220mph bike riding youtube video to playing, and set a fan in front of me.. a set of headphones.. OKAY.. I'll be good for another while longer.. I'll be swaying and jumping around that chair like granny used to when PRO wrestling would come on.. she broke 3 television sets with a walking stick..
    Last edited by Dawai; 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM.
    Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Evan, the engraving looks pretty nice and I like the subject. Did you trace it off a photo? Like your wifes great uncle, I got to race a Triumph Daytona 500 twin for a number of years on the dirttracks around Canada and the U.S.
      I like the sound of a XR750 Harley on the mile dirttracks, but nothing beats the sound of a nice running Triumph twin, probably because that was all I could afford to race at the time.
      I bet an old Triumph would look pretty good engraved up along with that Harley too.

Comment

tell him have a nice one fron one glasgow boy to another.Kindest regards to uncle whatever his name isAlistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

you sure you want to give an engraving of a harley to a Triumph man?

Comment

he hasn't ridden a bike since he was 80? WOW

Comment

He'll like it. It's a motorcycle.

Comment

Evan: Is that firebluing on it. What ever finish it is it looks nice! Gary P. Hansen
                In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Man if he rode Triumphs DO Not give him a Harley . they were rivals big time back in those days.
                  Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                  http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                  http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

I guess it can be called fire bluing. I polished up the piece with a belt sander to remove the mill scale, polished some more by hand and then hit it very slowly with a propane heating torch that produces a large feathered flame. You have to heat very slowly so you don't overshoot the color you want and I also keep some water on hand to throw on it when it hits the right shade. I was surprised when it turned out exactly the way I hoped. The colors are brighter than I expected. That pic was taken under diffuse natural light coming in the living room window with the plate lying flat on a kitchen stool by the window.

Comment

That's a real nice job, Evan. The extra attention to detail in the coloring is an excellent feature.

Comment

Nice as usual,like the blued effect too.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I'll be using the color effect more often. It's easy to do in terms of time and materials and it also has the benefit of making no two engravings the same even if of the same subject. The colors are very durable too. I scrubbed that piece with the edge of a hardwood block to remove any burrs from the engraving and it didn't do a thing to the background. It should be lightly oiled every once in a while just like a firearm to keep the finish in good shape.

I'm also going to try the reverse, heat treat after engraving and then sand off the color from the background leaving only the engraving in color. I could also flood the colored engraving with clear laquer, sand it off the back ground and then cold blue the piece which would give colored engraving on a dark background. The only rule I have is that the color must come from the metal.

Comment

Torchwork like that is occasionally used to imitate color case hardening on "restored" guns. With a little experimentation and control many different colors and shades can be obtained.

The colors are an oxide layer and do provide some protection similar to bluing or black oxide, but the layer is thin and does not last too long unles oiled or otherwise protected.

Guns so treated should be avoided. It can be difficult to detect at times, but it can destroy the original heat treat.
                            Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieKnobbie
                              Glue some boulders as a horizon made with some Viagara tablets and all will be forgotten!

Evan, you might try flooding the engraving with tar and then conventional cold gun blue on the metal. When the blueing is done, apply Easy Off Oven Cleaner in "even" coat. It will produce a finish known as French Finish Grey. Be careful when sanding that you don't sand off all the miniscule ridges as they are part of the illusion of depth and necessary for a nice engraving. If people can feel the tiny ridges they think it's engraved half way through the meta.
                              Last edited by Your Old Dog; 07-25-2008, 02:23 PM.
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X