Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some electrical advice please!

Hey guys!
    I just got my ironworker motor all hooked up and running!
    BUT..I "sorta" cheated... The magnetic starter reads... for 110V good for 1hp.
    For 220V..good for 1 1/2 hp.
    For 460V...good for 3hp.
    I've got a 3hp motor...hooked up to 220V
    I didn't think I could get away with it but it fired up and worked fine...for about 5 minutes then the motor shut down(the mag switch kicked out).
    I'm assuming it was the mag starter overheating???
    Can I replace something in the switch or do I have to buy a bigger one?
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

The overload heaters finally kicked out.

Time to upgrade to something a bit more suitable.

Get a new contactor and overload suitably rated for the motor.

IEC contactors and overloads are cheap. Factorymation.com is one of many suppliers.

New contactor and overload should cost less than a tank of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard-TX
      The overload heaters finally kicked out.

Time to upgrade to something a bit more suitable.

Get a new contactor and overload suitably rated for the motor.

IEC contactors and overloads are cheap. Factorymation.com is one of many suppliers.

New contactor and overload should cost less than a tank of gas.
      LOL! A fill up here is $200 now!
      So what you mean is I have to buy a whole new switch?
      I'll have to look on my other mill. It has a mag starter that may be heavier.
      I run it thru the VFD now so I don't use it.

Comment

You may find a 3 hp motor starter on the internet somewhere used reasonable. I don't think putting bigger heaters on it will raise it up to handle 3 hp.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

OK..Thanks! I'll just have to bite yet another bullet with this thing. I don't mind tho...money well spent!

Comment

If you are using the single phase motor you bought for the ironworker, you do not need a magnetic starter as such. A plain motor minder single phase switch will work. (I wouldn't begin to think of telling you to simply bypass the heaters.)
            Jim H.

Comment

Jim, I'm pretty sure Workers Comp would require a mag start on this.

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                Jim, I'm pretty sure Workers Comp would require a mag start on this.
                I don't know the code there of course, but it is no different than an air compressor or any other machine with a single phase motor on it. It does not require a starter as it is capacitor start.

You should take a good look at wire sizes though, they can be considerably smaller for 460, and might need replacing for the 220 motor.
                Jim H.

Comment

Jim..they didn't cheap out on the wire. It's all 10 guage.

Comment

Jim..they didn't cheap out on the wire. It's all 10 guage.
                    All good there. I just had the second thought on that. Manufacturers are good at that, build just to meet code and nothing extra.
                    Jim H.

Comment

LOL! A fill up here is $200 now!

To put it in real terms a 22 amp contactor is $22.00.
                      A 22 amp overload is $16.00

I would replace them both.

http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/sc...egory.11600/.f

Maybe a fill up on your lawnmower.

Comment

Russ,5HP 220vac 1~ air compressor mag starter,costs around $110 including the box,NEMA rated.Order the heat strip sized for your load,then all you need is a push button station.

If your workman's comp is like ours you will also need a disconnect switch within 10 feet of the machine.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I suspect a mag type starter would be required by the worker's comp people. Especially on a machine that can cut fingers (and worse) off.

The idea being, that if you have a power outage while using the machine , when the power comes back on the machine wouldn't start back up by itself.

Comment

That seems silly... they are still lever operated and have so many gaurds and shields that even if it did "turn itself on" after a power-outage, its unlikely that anything would go wrong. Not like a lathe or mill where spinning pieces are exposed!

I found some pretty cheap solid state relays for 10 horse on http://www.surpluscenter.com/electric.asp

Not sure what shipping would be like going into Canada though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
                              That seems silly... they are still lever operated and have so many gaurds and shields that even if it did "turn itself on" after a power-outage, its unlikely that anything would go wrong. Not like a lathe or mill where spinning pieces are exposed!

I found some pretty cheap solid state relays for 10 horse on http://www.surpluscenter.com/electric.asp

Not sure what shipping would be like going into Canada though.
                              I'm sure their concern is the "automatic" return stroke. If the power got cut and it was on return it could cause you to get your head cut off...cuz I ALWAYS stick my head inside machines after a power bump

Comment

Working...
                              X