Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    They probably were pretty cheap too..... although "cheap" does not pay for "is made really badly and will fail"......

Another thing seems to be that every manufacturer (in china, anyway) has their own "standard" as to the shape and size of the mating pieces..... I don't mean different sizes, I mean same size, same type, look the same, but don't fit.

Are there multiple standards? or are they just made "THAT badly"?

Looking at those pictures, it seems they might be made "THAT badly"....

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hockett
    replied
    I switched my air hoses over to the Prevost push button air couplers,
    http://www.ultimategarage.com/hardware/prevost.html
    I haven't had any problems since and they are much easier to use, especially for my wife who always had troubles with the standard type air couplers.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    I just recently had a HF couple pop loose. The balls and spring and everything just fell to the floor. I was surprised, didnt think much of those lil quick disconnects till that happened. Ill look into the parker hannifin joints as suggested. JR

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied
    I've never had a problem with the other HF number (red pack?). I just happen to grab these on the way into the store to grab some tarps. I usually use Milton since they're everywhere but switched to the HF since I was wearing them out so fast. But, no more. I think I'll switch to the steal couplers.

Leave a comment:

• jimmstruk
    replied
    Ken, my experience is that some of Harbor Freight stuff is a heck of a good buy. But,,, air quick couplers aint one of them. JIM

Leave a comment:

• davidh
    replied
    chineese sh** ! never had a problem with parker hannifin;s B-23 coupler. probably the only one i would or do sell mainly for the reasons you stated.

i have sold many different kinds over the years, but thousands of parkers and they are by far the best i have found.

this is of course just my humble opinion. . . . .
    davidh

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    started a topic Product Failure Warning - Danger ***

Product Failure Warning - Danger ***

I bought a few packs of air hose Quick Coupler Sets a while back from Harbor Freight. I wear a lot of these out over the course of a couple of months so I like to keep a stock on hand. I mounted one of the new female couplers on a hose and started to work using a DA sander. The sander slipped out my hands while changing a PSA disk and to keep the sander from hitting the ground, I was able to grab the hose. (Yeah, I know. The tool should be disconnected.) As soon as I grabbed the hose, the end of the coupler broke off and the tool hit the ground anyway. The coupler end, spring and ball bearings went flying across the floor. Fortunately, the air valve disk stayed intact or the hose would have been whipping around too.

All I could think was WTF? I gathered up the parts and checked them out. It seems the whole end of the coupler is held in place by about .009" or less of Chinese brass. I've never had this happen but it's the first time I've used the Yellow Pack couplers (Item 94024). These are the ones that HF usually sell in their sidewalk sales or special promotions for less than $2-3. I believe the regular packs are Red and carry a different item number. My advise is not to use these couplers. I'm thinking of reporting this to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. What do you guys think?

The pack looks like this.

On the left is the valve body half and on the right is the end that would retain the pull-back release. You can see by the dull areas of the crack that the only material holding the halves together is paper thin.

Here's a side view of the end that broke off. The break is at about a 45* angle so it looks like the material is thicker but it's really only about .009" thick.

Working...
X