Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a MADE in The USA product that ain't (warning OT Hillbilly RANT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a MADE in The USA product that ain't (warning OT Hillbilly RANT)

I paid extra for these wiseco pistons, the wrist pin is labeled made in Tawian..

Too mad to spit. Ain't a wrist pin an important part?
    Excuse me, I farted.

I believe only 51% of an item has to be made here to be labeled as made in USA. At least that's the way it was years ago when I complained to some gov entity about a product that had foreign made bearings.

Not sure if the 51% would include labor dollars for assembly in USA.

Comment

That's about how I reacted when I discovered my Mason "Work America" boots were made in China. What a crock.

Comment

Send that picture to Wiseco.
        Gene

Comment

Originally posted by topct
          Better yet, send them a link to this thread.

Comment

Hmmm.. sign of the times,
            well Wiseco makes an excellent piston at a decent price so I would not worry to much about them fitting and using an inferior wrist pin. Can't say the last time I used a set of wiseco's( maybe 8 years ago) in one of my engines I remember seeing "made in taiwan" anywhere in the packaging though.
            Eagle H beam rods are pretty decent and been around a while now and they are made in Taiwan. I've used them before too.
            Maybe give them a call and ask how long they have been using pins from Taiwan.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by topct
              Why ? Suely it was their decision where the part was made, sending them a picture isn't going to change anything.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                Why ? Suely it was their decision where the part was made, sending them a picture isn't going to change anything.

They might decide to not have that printing put on the package. Then this topic would not have come up.
                Gene

Comment

Well, as someone said to me; "You get what you pay for". That statement makes about as much sense as; "If you don't like it, make it yourself". Both may be true but they're still asinine. Especially when on the receiving end. The fact is, not much is made here anymore and what is cost too much in a Global Market. I would much rather have something made in Taiwan (ROC) than in the mainland China though.

Have you looked at "American made" cars lately? That 51% sure isn't by weight. Even the "only sports car made in America" has imported parts now.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer

I paid extra for these wiseco pistons, the wrist pin is labeled made in Tawian..

Too mad to spit. Ain't a wrist pin an important part?
                    Mic it first, if its good dont say jack. Some guy in the usa said he wanted wrist pins to X specs where he got them matters little. im sure you can buy total crap here in the USA too.

No dog on the big work on bikes, I would get a honda goldwing as my first choice.

I just told my woman if she dont like the stove she can change it, same deal.

Comment

Actually, I believe it's legal to call something "made in USA" even if virtually no part of it is actually made here - just as long as over 50% of the "value" is added here.

Back around 1980 the Martin guitar company contracted to have instruments made in Japan, and imported them unfinished, with the necks and bodies separate. They joined the parts, and lacquered them here, added a pickup and labeled them "Made in USA." They were standard Japanese guitars, no better nor worse than others, and a decent value a the time.

At my shop we took a fairly hard line and refused to stock them year after year until finally they got the message from various respected dealers, and changed the label to read "Assembled in USA from imported components," or something like that. We asked the production guys why they didn't make more inexpensive instruments here, and he was very upfront, saying that times were really hard then, and as soon as they could afford the CNC gear, they would do exactly that. True to their words, they did dive headlong into CNC production, quit the offshore stuff, and we're all happier as a result.
                      Cheers,

Frank Ford
                      HomeShopTech

Comment

I have bought a Caterpillar part that says Made in USA on the carton and the part says Made in China..
                        Precision takes time.

Comment

Mic'ed

Piston looks like a jewel... pretty.. bright.. was wrapped in a wax like paper like a washington apple. Hastings rings look good.

Piston is true to tolerance, I just mic'ed them. Fit the new OE cylinders just fine. Piston pins, well the pistons must be warmed to press fit into them. THE wrist pin bushings in the rods must be lapped in to fit the pins.

I emailed them while I was still angry. Note to self.. don't burn bridges or piss on neighbors.

I think, pistons are made in USA.. pins are imported.. they do have a world wide company now thou it says on the website.. MADE IN USA in more than one spot thou.

Hell, I am still angry.. Not really fair.. when you try to buy american you get baited and switched.
                          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Part of the problem is they have gotten slick with words. Some packages are the only thing made in the USA on some of the stuff. If a number of items are assemble to another item as had been said added value in the USA. It can be called Made in the USA. When you contact the factory overseas they ask about packaging or bulk packaging. So it is a crap shoot, anymore as I have had name brand American made tools that were junk.
                            The Toyota has more American made content parts than the big 3. And made in Canada or Mexico is not the same thing as Made in the USA.
                            So you have to be able to make an informed buying decision.
                            Glen
                            Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                            I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Call these guys and buy their product: http://www.bmeltd.com/Wristpin.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X