Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone recognise this type of faceplate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recognise this type of faceplate?

Faceplate, boring table, whatever you want to call it.
    I'll hazard a guess that it was 'saved' from a special machine. I asked some time ago on here whether the mounting taper was 'recognised', it's a bit like A- or C- type, but falls between the A-5 and A-6 sizes. I've mounted it onto a D1-3 backplate to go on my lathe, where there's just enough clearance over the bed.

I was looking for a good way to hold some 'marine pattern' diesel big end bearings for boring after remetalling.
    The table is adjustable with graduated leadscrews in both directions, with provision for slip gauges on both axes.
    I bought this years ago when I was at the peak of a 'that'll come in useful' phase, it has come in useful but only after about 8 years!
    It came with some custom counterweights, but they've been buried at the back of the shop for so long that I couldn't find them, so I kept the speed down to around 80 rpm & it was fine.

Tim

Tim-- that looks very handy indeed. I would venture to guess that even with the "vise" set in the middle of the backplate, its probably pretty out of balance...even moreso as you get away from the center. I would be sure to add balancing weights to keep it balanced. I suppose this is not just a safety thing, but probably also contributes to better finishes and longer headstock bearing life.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Comment

Tim, That looks to be a very nice addition to your lathe tooling. I hope someone recognizes it and can put a name to it, so I will know what I am talking about when I try to find one like it. Thanks.
      Dave

Comment

"Keats"
        Regards Ian
        You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Don't recognize it, but have had a few projects where I would have loved to have one for my lathe.

I've had to get pretty creative to do a few similar jobs, looks like it would be a good tool to clone, and fairly easy.

Ken

Comment

What is it.

A crankshaft grinding machine has a plate like that on the lathe head and another on the tail stock. riceone

Comment

I'd say it was originally from a small vertical boring mill or perhaps a jig bore.

Though I've never seen a jig bore with a round table.
              Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

My bet is definately on "just a fancy lathe faceplate," and also crank grinder, in that order.

I can't imagine a machine other than those two that would require such a setup.

Comment

I think I might have been inclined to put the boring head in the chuck and clamp the work to a fixture on the cross slide, but then the lowest speed of my lathe is 150 rpm. I'm pretty sure it would dance out into the street if I were to try that

Comment

Originally posted by Circlip
                    "Keats"
                    Regards Ian
                    No, not a Keats. A Keats angle plate is a deep vee clamp that bolts on to a faceplate.

Very interesting round, clampy, angle-y, thingy, though Tim. How come you find all these odd tools, like the 'Habit' radius turner you posted ages ago?
                    What's the secret - inquiring minds want to know.

Peter

Comment

Tim has a secret porthole to the back of Johns workshop, It was designed that way to help prevent the British isles tipping over.

does look very handy.

Dave
                      Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Neill
                        No, not a Keats. A Keats angle plate is a deep vee clamp that bolts on to a faceplate.

Very interesting round, clampy, angle-y, thingy, though Tim. How come you find all these odd tools, like the 'Habit' radius turner you posted ages ago?

Peter
                        Keats angle plate on ebay (item 330193699608)

Here's the Habit radius turner, next stage of the same job, radiusing the bearing ends:-

The faceplate thingy came from the guy who runs the BW electronics DRO business, he used to publish a list of 'stuff for sale', I think he frequented military surplus auctions etc, maybe he still does.

The Habit radius tool I think came from the homeworkshop ads page, probably in Chris Heapy's time.

I try not to collect stuff much now, no room for it and less money. OTOH I had a call last week from the guy from whom I bought a load of heavy duty pulling gear not long ago, on a Henry Butcher internet auction. He had some more stuff to clear out, but wasn't into paying auctioneers' fees again so had set it out himself into priced lots & was asking people round to view it. I went round to see him yesterday & came away having negotiated a deal (yet to be collected) which includes more of the pulling gear, a couple of AC drives (VFDs) and a good selection of clamps (G clamps, Carver clamps etc).
                        Incidentally I was using some of the original lot of pulling gear this afternoon, getting cylinder liners out from the same engine the big ends are for (a 1930's Russell Newbery)

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Neill

Peter
                          He buys lots of stuff!

Have you seen his workshop floor lately?
                          Neither has Tim!

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Ping
                            He buys lots of stuff!

Have you seen his workshop floor lately?
                            Neither has Tim!

Charles
                            There'll be a small patch visible in a week or so, albeit maybe only briefly, as one of the CVAs is finally going to its new home

Tim

Comment

Tell us more about the Habit Radius tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X