New manual lathes in western countries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New manual lathes in western countries

Are there any manual lathes of any size made in western countries any more (US, UK, Aus etc etc)...It would seem to me that while CNC lathes are still made in first world countries manual lathes seem to be the mainstay of the Asian countries...
    Precision takes time.

I suppose Myford, that's if you can afford one. I did a quick tour of the Hercus facility in Adelaide about 10 years ago, at that time they mentioned they had around 6 (IIRC model C) bed castings remaining and this was the last of the line. The fellow mentioned at around $10k they simply could not compete with the imports at that time.

Comment

I believe Hardinge manual lathes are still made in the USA.

Emco manual lathes are made in still made in Europe.

Comment

Plenty still being made in Eastern Europe, TOS etc.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

There are, but the ones I've seen start at $25k for a 16x60 sized machine. Real trick machines, rapids in all directions and constant surface speed cutting. I think Hardinge still makes the HLV for a ridiculous sum of money. High quality, production oriented machine tools are difficult to produce, and brand new manual machines just don't have much of an economic draw.

You don't see manual machines being made by a great variety of western countries because there's very little money in making a top quality toolroom style manual machine.

Comment

Standard Modern lathes claim to be made in Canada.

Comment

You could check with a company that still makes TVs or stereos in the US.......
              .......... oh yea, none of them left either
              "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Monarch 10 EE.
                Harry

Comment

Standard Modern lathes claim to be made in Canada.
                  They are. This came up a while back so I phoned them and asked where their machines are made. The lady on the phone laughed and then invited me to stop in at the factory to see them being built.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

interesting, my local Pirate, I mean machine tool dealer thinks they are made in Asia. Perhaps they have their castings made there?

I used an 11" x 24" Standard Modern for a while, a friend bought one from a local fellow who had bought twenty some of them from a local school. It was actually a very nice lathe, telescoping taper attachment, 5c capable spindle. I think the 11" was discontinued a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by beckley23
                      Monarch 10 EE.
                      According to Don's history of the 10EE on PM, the last new 10EE made was the one sold to United Airlines in 2002 for $80,000 (!) Monarch sells factory refurbs for $55,000, but I don't think that really applies to the OP's question.

Same deal with Hardinge: according to posts on PM, they haven't made an HLV in the last several years. They're also in deep financial trouble -- the CEO just resigned, and their stock is at historic lows, which Hardinge claims is because of unfavorable exchange rates on imported components.
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                        The lady on the phone laughed and then invited me to stop in at the factory to see them being built.
                        Assembled or built? I've heard in several places that Standard Moderns are made in Asia -- I don't see how any Western company can afford to make manual machine tools domestically.

I can easily see the secretary looking at lathes being assembled on the factory floor from imported components and assuming that they're being made there.

Myford's a boutique UK thing -- I called Blue Ridge Machinery (the US distributor) in July '07, and the base Super7 was $13,500 for the short bed version (7 x 19"), and $14,000 for the "long-bed" version (7 x 31") !!! The Dollar has dropped precipitously since then, and fuel costs have gone way up, so I'd imagine the 7 x 31 is pushing $20K in the 'States. You can buy a really nice Hardinge HLV-H for that price!

TOS went out of business several years ago, and the pieces were bought by Trens, which I think is now made in China. Maybe Don can comment.

In addition to Emco that's already been mentioned, Weiler and Schaublin still make manual lathes, but bring a big wallet
                        Last edited by lazlo; 08-02-2008, 02:00 PM.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

ALthough these lathes are a bit smaller, they're made in Shrewsbury, MA, USA less than 4 miles from here.
                          http://www.derbyshirelathes.com/
                          Descended from one of the famous Waltham, MA lather manufacturers from the turn of the 20th century.
                          Last edited by fasto; 08-02-2008, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Hey, that's neat! I've never heard of those before!

I'm up in the Worcester area a lot -- do you know if they give factory tours?

Comment

Monarch ran an ad in one of the mags about a year or so ago, they put several new EE's on the U.S.S. George H.W. Bush. I imagine the cost was over 100, 000 ea. Their rebuilds are going for a little over 54,000, according to a very recent post on the Monarch forum at PM.
                              Harry

Comment

Working...
                              X