New equipment has arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New equipment has arrived

I'm kind of cramped for room until the buyers of my old machinery take them away but I managed to get the new stuff set up temporarily.

The mill/drill is a Craftex B1976. After using a homebuilt vertical mill for so long this machine is a real treat.

The lathe is a Craftex B2227L (10 x 18). It is a lot smaller than my old one but it seems to be a study little rig. I took a few test cuts and it does a nice job.

The first small issue that needed to be taken care of is that there is no tang stops in the tailstock quill. This would make it just about impossible to do any drilling without the MT2 shank spinning out and gauling the inside taper.
    A couple of 1/4" x 3/8" set screws set in with a removable thread lock does the job.

Last edited by G.A. Ewen; 08-01-2008, 11:52 PM.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

looks good man looks good

Comment

Nice machines George,to pretty though,need some scratches,swarf and grease to look proper
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have the same problem in an older tailstock, thanks for the tip GA

Comment

Sweet machines...and thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
            Nice machines George,to pretty though,need some scratches,swarf and grease to look proper
            I'll get started on that right away. LOL

Once the shop is totally reorganized I will have nothing bigger that what two men can carry. If a move becomes necessary in the future I could even set up shop in a basement if no garage is available.

It takes a load of my mind to know that I'll be making chip until they plant me. LOL. I can't imagine being forced to sit in front of a TV all day.

Comment

Looks good George. Those issues are creeping up on a lot of us. I'm busy figuring out things to do around this place that will make it possible to stay here as long as possible. One thing on my list is an assist device for our basement stairs, basically a simple elevator that is just a fold down foot stand and handlebar. I'll likely be working on that this winter.

Craftex seems to be a cut above the usual Chinese imports. And, quality is improving all the time. You probably picked the absolute best possible time to buy new machines as the predictions are for significant price increases on Chinese products by the end of this year if not sooner.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan, I'm sure that you are right about the soon to come price hike. I lucked out in two ways this time. Bought before the price hike and didn't have to take any money out of pocket because selling the old stuff covered the whole cost.

I also managed to get a new 6" rotary table. There are a few more accessories that I want but they are smaller investments so If I don't manage to get them before the price hike it won't be a large disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by G.A. Ewen
                  The first small issue that needed to be taken care of is that there is no tang stops in the tailstock quill. This would make it just about impossible to do any drilling without the MT2 shank spinning out and gauling the inside taper.
                  A couple of 1/4" x 3/8" set screws set in with a removable thread lock does the job.

Interesting mod to the tailstock. I have this same lathe and have never had anything spin in the tailstock and I do a lot of drilling but so far nothing over 1/2". Something to keep in mind in I ever need to use large 2mt shank drills; may just go ahead and do the mod anyway.

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

Comment

I also made a new clamp plate, now, it take less then 1/4 turn to lock it up, and the tail-stock slides much better on the ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Flipo
                      I also made a new clamp plate, now, it take less then 1/4 turn to lock it up, and the tail-stock slides much better on the ways.
                      Yup, that is what mine needs as well. Thanks for posting the photo.

Comment

George! good to see you back in the chips!
                        That mill drill is the same one I beat the crap out of all the time.
                        Be carful you don't overtighten the clamp for the head. It will clamp down so hard it'll get stuck. At least mine did. Someone told me you had to almost put a snipe on the nut to get them tight enough so they wouldn't slip. That's not true with these.
                        Is yours still made in Taiwan? Mine has a "Made in Taiwan" plate on it.
                        Russ
                        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by G.A. Ewen
                          Yup, that is what mine needs as well. Thanks for posting the photo.
                          I don't have that exact tailstock but I did clean up the clamp which is very similar. I also put a spring on it to force it away from bottom of the ways. As built it's likely to rock one end or the other while sliding and it will jam. The spring allows a nice smooth glide.

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                            George! good to see you back in the chips!
                            That mill drill is the same one I beat the crap out of all the time.
                            Be carful you don't overtighten the clamp for the head. It will clamp down so hard it'll get stuck. At least mine did. Someone told me you had to almost put a snipe on the nut to get them tight enough so they wouldn't slip. That's not true with these.
                            Is yours still made in Taiwan? Mine has a "Made in Taiwan" plate on it.
                            Russ
                            Yup, made in tie-one-on. The clamp wrench only has a 6" handle. I guess that is to prevent over tightening.

Comment

To make life a little easier, I also installed a QCTP. And a digital indicator, with large number display. (Lee Valley)

Comment

Working...
                              X