Ammco Shaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammco Shaper

I have a lead on a 7" AMMCO shaper that's within a driveable distance.

I browsed thru all the hits on a search for Ammco shaper here, and still have some questions:

1) How does the Ammco compare with the Logan (which I'm familiar with)
    and...
    2) Reading those search hits left me with the impression that the Ammco table may not have T-slots. There was some discussion and diagrams indicating the vise is simply bolted on with a thru-bolt. What's the story here?

3) Any other comments/advice appreciated!

thnx,
    Lynn

It doesn't have T-slots, just square slots with holes in the bottom, if I remember right, a couple of v slots.

Pretty nice little shaper actually. Had one and liked it. Spent a lot of time thinking of reasons to use it on projects. In the end though, I have a tiny little shop that has to share space with other needs, and decided to cut myself down to one lathe and one mill, and cleared out everything else. Now I'm thinking of getting rid of my Clausing mill and picking up a horizontal/vertical in it's place.

Decent write up at:
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/ammco/index.html

Manuals and other information can be found in various locations on the web.

Ken.

edited to correct spelling mistakes caused by the man-eating-mini-mutt

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
      2) Reading those search hits left me with the impression that the Ammco table may not have T-slots. There was some discussion and diagrams indicating the vise is simply bolted on with a thru-bolt. What's the story here?
      I have a Ammco 7" shaper and item #2 is correct, no 'T' slots, and the vice uses a thru-bolt.

Comment

Ammcoman here - entirely impartial - of course!!!!

As Timo mentioned there are no T-slots. Some folks have tapped the holes for 5/16-18 bolts. When needed I have used 1/4' bolts to hold things down. The vise can also be bolted on the right vertical side of the table.

Mine is listed as a 6" (pre 1941) but it actually has a 7" stroke. I don't think they are as beefy as an Atlas but I find mine does put a superb surface on stock - aka my poor man's grinder.

Geoff

Comment

I have a 7" AMMCO shaper. For a 7 inch shaper it is a good machine. If I were checking one out before buying, ai would check out the condition of the large "bull" gear as they are a fibre gear and an expensive repair. I have taken mine apart to the last screw and replaced the oilite bearings and the Gits cups. With the exception of the fibre gear everthing else should be an easy rebuild.

Comment

Ammco is a good machine, but is a bit lighter than a Logan or SouthBend.
            Go here for some good Shaper data.
            Ammco is at the bottom of the page
            because of the fibre bull gear, it is the quietest shaper around

http://www.eurospares.com/shapers.htm

Comment

Working...
            X