Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slight mod

Started to do a few mods to my new toy.

Decided that the door wasn't quite wide enough.

Marvelous things these thin cutting disks

Now you can get to things..................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

What is it?

What sort of lathe is that?

Comment

Originally posted by LEOTECHCNC

Looks like it says SIEG.

Comment

The rest of the story: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=30120

Comment

Ah-so

Dennis , thanks for the link ...
          Chipslinger ... get a job.

Comment

I was wondering about that,looked too small for western elbows and arms
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Dennis , thanks for the link ...
              Chipslinger ... get a job.

I just did it.

Comment

That things cuter than a bugs ear, I would have left the door on and kept it in my living room for wine bottle opening and coconut drilling...

Comment

I have to ask the question that popped into my head as I veiwed the original thread. It supposedly has a "500 W 3 phase brushless DC motor with tacho feedback". Was that a humorus reference....like maybe it has a "flux capacitor", or is it three-phase in, powering a DC motor controller. What I am driving at is that if its "three phase" , it isn't DC

Paul
                  Paul Carpenter
                  Mapleton, IL

Comment

Listen your ludship !!! you would never have been a gyneacologist with an attitude like that door not wide enough. Alistair
                    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Not only that at the headstock end is a removable flap to allow long pieces of bar to stick thru.

I think the flap is too big ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I have to ask the question that popped into my head as I veiwed the original thread. It supposedly has a "500 W 3 phase brushless DC motor with tacho feedback". Was that a humorus reference....like maybe it has a "flux capacitor", or is it three-phase in, powering a DC motor controller. What I am driving at is that if its "three phase" , it isn't DC
                        Forget everything you learned about AC induction and DC brushed motors. It doesn't apply. A DC 3 phase brushless motor runs by electronically switching the DC power to three sets of stator coils around and around in sequence. The rotor magnet is obliged to follow. There are sensors that make sure it does. If it is loaded down the sensors report it isn't on time and the motor controller steps up the juice and adjusts the timing. It doesn't have to be three phase either. It can be 5, 7 or more phases. Also, rpm is not directly related to anything outside the motor and the controller.

There is also more than one type of brushless DC motor. The other main type is the switched reluctance motor. It has no brushes and no permanent magnets and is one of the most efficient motor types there is. Efficiency can easily be 95%. It has an iron rotor with pole pieces instead of magnets. The stator coils are arranged in sets, most often three sets which make it three phase also although it may be more.

The rotor has one less pole than the number of poles in the stator. If the stator is 3 phase with 4 coils spaced 90 degrees for each phase then there are 12 poles. The rotor will have 11 poles. This ensures that there is always a phase difference somewhere around the 360 degrees that will provide for starting and in a preferred direction. The three sets of coils are energized in sequence by the controller and the rotor is rotated (attracted to the position of minimum reluctance).

The controller normally uses sensors to determine rotor position but it is also posssible to run a switched reluctance motor without a feedback loop. In that case it runs basically the same as a open loop stepper motor.
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                          Not only that at the headstock end is a removable flap to allow long pieces of bar to stick thru.

I think the flap is too big ?

A surfeit of innocence. Tuxedo cats define cool.

Comment

Which Show

Which show is it expected to début at?

Steve Larner

Comment

Originally posted by SDL
                              Which show is it expected to début at?

Steve Larner
                              No idea, this is one of the pre production machines hence the hacking and slashing.
                              It is working under power now, been cutting a 20 x 6 mm pitch thread today at 1200 rpm but it still needs work.

Then all the mods drawings etc have to go back to China and probably another visit. Then it's up to Sieg what happens next.

It's all small things that will help manufacture, assembly and support.
                              Here's an example, this is how it was sent out, in other words what the Chinese design team though was acceptable.

Note the lube pipes in the way of turning etc at the front and the red guard covering the X axis limit switches to the rear of the cross slide.

One days work later and we have this.

All the pipes have been moved with the block to the front clear of any turnings coming off the machine. All new holes have been cross drilled and old ones plugged up.
                              It now has pressure lube to 4 corners of the saddle with grooves, both sides of the cross slide, also with grooves and both ball nuts.

Cheap lever micro switches have been replaced by opto sensors mounted under the guards.
                              Toolchanger cable has yet to be re routed but we may not use this changer and move to a 6 + 6 position one.

Sorry to be so vague but it's still early days as I have only had close to 2 days on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X