CNC Dentistry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC Dentistry

I just got a tooth crown, CNC-machined in the dentist's office while I waited, from a 3D model generated from digital images of the original tooth and the "stub" after the dentist had ground it down. The whole procedure, start to finish, took a bit over 3 hours. This is the company that makes the equipment: http://www.cereconline.com/

It was quite amazing. The CNC machining was done on a little desktop unit with two spindles that machined the ceramic blank from opposite sides. Once the machining was done, the dentist applied a clear glaze and fired the crown in an oven before installing it.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

thats not exactly new but fascinating much quicker than the old way but in my opinion not as accurate.keep smilingAlistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

The only thing keeping CNC dentistry out of your mouth is the head crashes -- ouch!
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
      X