Tecumseh Vibra-Tach -- anybody ever use one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • winchman
    • Aug 2003

Tecumseh Vibra-Tach -- anybody ever use one?

See: http://www.manddsmallengine.com/tecu...ls/670156.html

How do you use it and read it?

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.
  • paulx
    • Jun 2006

I have one thats identical but the molded lettering says Treysit Drehzahlmesser Made in Germany.While touching it to a motor for example rotate the knob CCW till the wire vibrates at maximum amplitude.The upper window shows RPM and the lower shows per second.
    Mine is at least 50 years old.I have not played with for a long time and can`t say how good it is.

Comment

• winchman
      • Aug 2003

Thanks. That's exactly the info I needed.

It's the same thing with a different badge.

I was hoping for something I could mount on an engine and just read the rpm without having to do anything.

Roger

Comment

• CCWKen
        • Jan 2003

Try one of these:

Comment

• b2u44
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by CCWKen

I agree. Tiny-Tachs sure are nice. Not terribly expensive either, plus they double as an hour-counter. Just make sure to get the right one for your particular engine or else it won't read right.

Comment

• winchman
            • Aug 2003

I just remembered this thing that I've been saving for several years:

It came off a piece of junked exercise equipment. Maybe I can figure out a way to adapt it to the engine. I ran it with my ~2500rpm electric drill, and it goes around to the 6 o'clock position on the dial.

I don't really need the exact rpm. I just need a easily read gage to set the engine speed for using my Briggs winch. That way my flying buddies can just set it to 6 (or whatever they've learned is the best speed for their plane) on the dial, and go. So far we've been going by the sound of the engine, and some of them have a little problem getting it right each time.

Roger
            Last edited by winchman; 08-08-2008, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• A.K. Boomer
              • May 2006

Originally posted by CCWKen

Cannot stand companies that build stuff with a non-replaceable battery, they can die with it.

Comment

• oldtiffie
                • Nov 1999

Digital with analogue display.

Why not use a digital controlled analogue display engine speed dial from almost any Auto store? Or from an Auto-wreckers yard?

The kids have them on their dash for more show than go - but they should be OK - especially from a wreckers yard.

Comment

Working...
                X