Glycerin Filled Gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycerin Filled Gauges?

Is it appropriate to have a bubble in the gauge or should the gauge be filled to the top? I bought a few "dry" gauges for some projects but 1-2 may need filling due to vibrations. They're already made to be filled and I have the glycerin. I've seen a number of gauges with a bubble at the top but it sure is annoying. Any specification on this?

THX, Ken

A bubble is left at the top to compensate for expansion. If filled near full at close to the highest temperature the gauge will see, the bubble can be minimized. Such gauges have a rubber blow out plug that will pop if pressure is exceeded, dumping the glycerine all over the place. You want to avoid that.
    Jim H.

Comment

Ditto on expansion,the glycerin is only there to dampen needle flutter so an air space is proper.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks guys. That makes sense. The bubble seems to draw my eyes instead of the needle though.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
          Thanks guys. That makes sense. The bubble seems to draw my eyes instead of the needle though.
          Add a couple marks and use it to level the machine
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Make a wider bezel for the glass?
            Mike

Comment

If you read the instructions, the gauge is intended to be mounted in a vertical position and the rubber plug either removed or more likely a little rubber tang to be cut/snipped to allow the gauge to equalize/vent with atmosphere.
              Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Working...
              X