OT - Hydraulic landscaping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Hydraulic landscaping

Success! Been grumbling about removing a dozen big juniper bushes from the back of the house. 4 to 6 feet wide each. Nasty old things. Too steep to get the tractor in there. I was fretting about chainsaws and digging. Then I had the inspiration. Engine hoist. Junipers are no match for a 5 ton bottle jack. Hauled the hoist out out of the shop, hooked up some chain and just yanked them out of the ground, nice and neat.

I used a high lift jack, some chain and a lot of sweat removing 3 eucalyptus and 1 orange trees roots a couple years ago in preparation for my pool. My nosey neighbor told me I would never get them out without a backhoe. The popping sound that the roots made when they snapped was pretty impressive

Comment

The popping sound that the roots made when they snapped was pretty impressive
      I know what you mean. I use explosives. It lifts them real well, not even a tiny bead of sweat...
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

evan, did you make your own ? ?

Comment

I had the opposite problem a few years ago - I had to get a small tree (but way too heavy to move by hand) that was being transplanted, off a trailer, up a bank and into its new hole, with no machinery available. Fortunately I had a chain block and another tree some way off, so was able to do the whole job in about 10 minutes, no worries. The chain block was being used for a horizontal pull, which it wasn't too happy about, but it worked.

Comment

evan, did you make your own
            What, explosives? No, that's illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
              I know what you mean. I use explosives. It lifts them real well, not even a tiny bead of sweat...
              lmao sounds like a better way top do it, unfortunately city life frowns on it.

Comment

So does the current regulatory climate. You can't just walk in and buy stumping powder anymore. It used to be that you didn't need a license to buy, transport or use 20% dynamite, black powder or other low yield explosives like ANFO.

Now I have a stump grinder.

Comment

You have to buy ANFO in Canada?
                  Just got my head together
                  now my body's falling apart

Comment

What do you do? Steal the ingredients?

They track bulk nitrate sales.

Comment

Working...
                    X