where to buy torx insert screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to buy torx insert screws

I just purchased a set of Glanze CCMT indexable tool holders, and I want to purchase some extra screws for when I inevitability lose one or two. The paperwork says they are M2.5 x T8 and are 5mm long.

Does anyone know where I can can pick up some extras?
    -Dan S.
    dans-hobbies.com

Well..... McMaster-Carr has them - but, you have to buy a pack of 50.

Part # 92832A173

Comment

Hi,

You could check with the vender you purchased it from. Otherwise, MSC or McMaster-Carr may be able to supply you with replacement screws.

Personally, because torx screws can be difficult to get locally. I try to replace them with socket head screws if possible. Socket-heads are generally available locally and are cheaper. And they hold just as well.

dalee
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

don't these screws have to have a special taper on them?
        -Dan S.
        dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Hi,

I've actually got a boring bar that uses those style inserts. I have no problem with using a standard socket flathead screw to retain the insert. I use it mostly for boring case-hardened steel. And since the inserts wear fast under those conditions, I'm turning them and replacing them often. I lose a LOT of screws some times!

dalee
          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Stihl pro chainsaws use Torx, and have done for over 20 years. Very high quality screws... Most dealers have a bucket of loose screws. Typically M4,M5 and M6. Many lengths.

Comment

Originally posted by dan s
              don't these screws have to have a special taper on them?
              The screws that come with CCMT & TCMT etc insert holders typically have a taper on them to suit the insert, but AFAIK standard torx screws are flat on the underside of the head, like a socket head screw.

Somewhere on here or maybe homemodelenginemachinist.com there are pictures of someone putting a taper on small socket head screws to use with inserts
              Last edited by bob ward; 08-16-2008, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dan s
                I just purchased a set of Glanze CCMT indexable tool holders, and I want to purchase some extra screws for when I inevitability lose one or two. The paperwork says they are M2.5 x T8 and are 5mm long.

Does anyone know where I can can pick up some extras?
                Another option is to find a local sandvik dealer and get them to order in spare screws for sclcr 06 holders thats what i did for my glanze stuff. but the screws wont be cheap, alternitivly take the tool into them and aslong as it has a tool code they should be able to find sandvik spares that will fit, for example my tool holder was SCLCR 161606 and the sandvik screw for their equivalent tool fitted just fine thanks to ISO standards
                Last edited by sconisbee; 08-16-2008, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sconisbee
                  Another option is to find a local sandvik dealer and get them to order in spare screws for sclcr 06 holders thats what i did for my glanze stuff. but the screws wont be cheap, alternitivly take the tool into them and aslong as it has a tool code they should be able to find sandvik spares that will fit, for example my tool holder was SCLCR 161606 and the sandvik screw for their equivalent tool fitted just fine thanks to ISO standards
                  No luck on the local front, but i found some screws listed in the msc catalog that look like they might work.
                  -Dan S.
                  dans-hobbies.com

Comment

also try here

http://www.valumaxcorporation.com/catalog_screw.html

Comment

There is a guy on e-bay that sell the screws you are looking for. His handle is "jazz for golf" but im not sure.

Ken

Comment

Actually late last I found a place carries spares made by glanze, (chronos) so I ordered 10.

I will post an update once they arrive.
                        -Dan S.
                        dans-hobbies.com

Comment

Originally posted by sconisbee
                          The insert screws that Valumax sell are the real McCoy, same as the Kennametal, Sandvik etc items, $2 per screw in small quantities.

I bought a few from Valumax and would like to say what great people they were to do business with. They don't know me from a bar of soap, but they trustingly just put the screws in the post and emailed me an invoice. Outstanding!

Comment

Working...
                          X