Olympic machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympic machining

One of the other threads talked about the machining involved in an olympic sport (Curling). I thought this was quite interestingt to investigate the application of machining in sport. Some of it is quite surprising to those not involved in them take Archery.. If you look at the coverage you might notice some of equipment is highly machined. This is an example of a fully machined "riser" the bit archer holds

In fact archery has alot of machined parts from the arrow heads to the stabilisers the things sticking out the front of the "riser" to the sights that archer uses to aim

What machining do you know of in the olympics?

Hmm. That's a bit of a nostalgic trip for me, not the machining part, but archery in general. I was a free-style archer in the late '60s, and was supposed to go to the olympics in '72. I would have been sponsored in part by one of the bow manufacturers, Art Wiliams of Ladysmith, on Vancouver island. We couldn't afford to send me at the time, so that was that. Art wanted to train me- I guess he saw some potential in me. I was good, and my dad was better. We won trophys at tournaments, and put on demonstrations for the public. Our bows were works of art, fabricated from wood and fiberglass, with very little metal in them. Art made a very good product. Something I was doing at the time was building custom arrows. Those were fun days.

Now that I have machine tools- maybe I might like to make up my own bow- hmm. Put it on the list.

I don't think it would take much of a look around to find many examples of finely machined parts in pretty much all sports these days. A ski, for example, or even a pair of sunglasses.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Perhaps it should be "surprising levels of machining is Olympic sport" When I took up archery I was surprised at the level of engineering employed - no longer an artisan craft in wood. All Carbon fibre and prescision milling. Some sports are not surpising - Shooting, Cycling..
      However, the para-olympics have technology in lots of sports

Comment

Perhaps it should be "surprising levels of machining is Olympic sport" When I took up archery I was surprised at the level of engineering employed - no longer an artisan craft in wood. All Carbon fibre and prescision milling. Some sports are not surpising - Shooting, Cycling..
        However, the para-olympics have technology in lots of sports

Comment

Working...
        X