What are Delta drills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are Delta drills

Looking on fleabay and found an item referring to Delta drills as if it meant something?
    Done a search and only come up with Dealta machinery which I assume is chinese in origin - so is there another meaning of Delta - soemthing special or what or more chinese cheese drills!!!

Peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

last i heard delta was was owned by black and decker and that makes me worry same as porter cable is also owned by delta so iam told

Comment

That's right, Black & Decker owns Dewalt, Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss, Oldham, Kwikset, and Price Pfister among others.

I think the only Western hand and power tools are now Bosch and Milwaukee, and I've seen Made in China on some of their stuff too.

I need to hoard some quality tools for my children, or they'll never experience what a quality tool is supposed to look/feel like...
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Hilti is good. A fair amount of their stuff is made in Switzerland, Spain, etc., at least the last 2 drills I bought were made in Switzerland. Fein and a few other people still make stuff in Germany. Good tools that are not made in China can can still be bought if you want to pay the price. B&D used to make a lot of stuff in Mexico. China is definitely a you-get-what -you-pay-for place. If you give them specs for a quality product, you get it. If you want cheap, you get cheap.

Comment

Older Delta equipment, especially their variable speed drill presses, are actually quite good. Their 14" bandsaws and and 10" Unisaw tablesaw pretty much set the standard in woodworking tools. Much of their stuff is currently made in china now, and the quality, or lack of it, shows. But with the price of chinese made goods expected to increase by 25% next year, I suspect we will see some of it coming back to the US.

Comment

Ummm....are we going way off on a tangent? He asked about Delta drills. I am thinking of some sort of drill bit, not a drill press or electric hand drill made by Delta woodworking equipment etc.

Please clarify or send us a link. I hate it when the OP has the advantage of a description or other details that might help but posts a cryptic open-ended question here for us to waste time and bandwidth guessing at. *Please* use it in context.

Paul
            Paul Carpenter
            Mapleton, IL

Comment

Sorry
              heres the fleabay link
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEBI:IT&ih=009

Peter
              I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

delta s drill

Here is another really clear photo of a Sandvik Delta s drill from the same photographically challenged dude.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sandvic-10-5-d...d=p3911.c0.m14

Rgds
                Michael

Australia

Comment

As has been pointed out they are part of Black and Decker.

If I had to rank the B&D offerings

Private labeled
                  Black and Decker
                  Delta Porter/Cable
                  Dewalt

Delta Porter Cable is their better woodworking tool brand in North America. They are coated in the picture, but is probably not the whizzy unobtainium coating that machinists like. They want to use a bit for a hundred years and continually hand sharpen. They do however look like they will fit in a small shop, which always seems to be important on the board.

100+ pcs maybe implies in North America a fractional, letter and number set or
                  whatever sets are sold in the UK - Fractional , metric.

Go wild - up the bid by a pound. 1.99 would be a smoking deal.

Comment

Hi,

I've never heard of "delta drills" either. But the photos seem to show the drills as having a bit higher helix than standard drills, but not quite as high as aluminum drills. Not really good photos for my old eyes.

dalee
                    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

It would appear that the Sandvik Delta S drill is solid carbide and has nothing to do with Black & Decker et al.

http://www.toolitagain.com/product_i...c2f2bc7b24c8bc

That being the case, it is a good price, but shipping appears high.
                      Last edited by JCHannum; 08-19-2008, 08:48 PM.
                      Jim H.

Comment

Here in the USA, its known as Sandvik Coromorant, probably because other divisions of Sandvik, which make all kinds of other industrial products, are "just plain Sandvik".

The drills in question have nothing to do with Black and Decker, or Delta/Rockwell tools.

They are brazed carbide tipped drills or solid carbide, expensive, for machining apps.

http://www.coromant.sandvik.com/us

then click on short hole drilling, then delta coromorant, and you can see em.

They are a deal at .99 pounds per 100.

Comment

If you enlarge the picture of this Delta drill it appears to have coolant holes at the tip.

http://www.toolitagain.com/product_i...c2f2bc7b24c8bc

Rgds
                          Michael

Australia

Comment

http://www.coromant.sandvik.com/sand...3FOpenDocument

A Delta drill is a Sandvik product. Used for production machining. The coolant holes in the tip are for through the spindle coolant.

OK...I just looked at the fleabay link after posting this. I don't see a delta drill in the lot.
                            Last edited by Virgil Johnson; 08-19-2008, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Delta drills

For drilling triangular holes?

A part of a recipe for alphabet soup?

Part of a set with: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa, Lambda, Mu, Nu, Xi, Omicron, Pi, Rho, Sigma, Tau, Upsilon, Phi, Chi, Psi, Omega.

The complete set of which is known as the "Greek Alphabet" at:
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_Alphabet

Comment

Working...
                              X